• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Forum Legalities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Legalities

Right as briefly explained in my "new member post" I have been having alot of trouble with a particular forum that I use for advertising purposes. The things that are being posted can range anything between general comments about the work we do and the products that we supply through to personal attacks on my other half who does alot of the technical side of the business. We have been running the company for about 10 years now and have of course had customers that are not happy with the service we provide and have had these issues before. It usually has just been a phone call or an email to sort out any issues they have and we have gone on with our lives!
    The problems started when we got involved with two companies that we were supposed to be working with as a way to compliment each others services however this ended up with both of these companies doing the same work as us and as such were taking our customers. One of the companies we ended up in court with and we both agreed at the end that we would go our separate ways and that would be the end of it all!
    We are now having to deal with a constant backlash of customers of these companies bad mouthing us and our company. We follow the forum rules and only post when we need to answer questions etc and report any posts that we
    feel is unfair etc.
    We constantly get the same answer back from the admin/moderators that if we have a problem that we should reply on the forum but we have done this time and time again and it just results in massive arguments/thread closures and i'm afraid arguing on a public forum does make a company look very unprofessional
    which is why we don't do it.
    The forum is run by basically a group of youngsters who I think have the "i'm safe behind my computer" attitude but it's not a game to us! This is our business and we have a family to support!

Any advice/help welcome really as we have had enough!

Batfink

Re: Forum Legalities

Did you read the link I posted on your other thread?

They are not safe behind their computers, far from it. Anonymity no protection for online libellers | The Register

Write to them and inform them that you will be seeking an order that they disclose the identity of the posters who you judge have committed libel as you intend to bring a claim against them and the site and it's owners.

As Celestine has pointed out, this will have more gravitas if it comes from a solicitor and although we tend to recommend that you represent yourself, in this case you might need the threat of a costly legal case to bring them to heel.

Comment

Yeah was just reading that link! Very interesting!

So do you think that we should write to them first ourselves as a official warning and then if we get no answer then hit them with a solicitors letter? Or just go in for the kill so to speak!

Comment

What is more important in a situation like this is that if state you will carry out a particular action and they call your bluff, you act swiftly and decisively in the manner in which you said you would.

I do not think it important that the initial letter comes from a solicitor, as long as, if they fail to abide by your demands, your second one does and you carry through your threat of court action.

Comment

Yeah I see your point! Basically give them say 7-14 days to reply or remove the offending posts etc and behave themselves! if they don't stick to the rules then hit them with solicitors and court!

Comment

In the case of offending posts, then time is of the essence. You should demand that they are removed in accordance with their "take down" policy and without delay. As for your other demands, you should formulate what you want and by when and make sure that if you set a deadline, you stick to it.

Comment

Ok that seems sensible!

However we get quite alot of work from this forum and our one concern is that we would have serious problems if we ended up taking their forum down as the majority of people are fine but as usual it's a small handful of people that cause us hassle! I suppose it's a risk we would have to take!
              Last edited by Batfink; 29th February 2008, 23:56:PM. Reason: Getting late and my brain is slowing down!!!

Comment

"but as usual it's a small handful of people that cause us hassle!", now how familiar does that sound!!,

Batfink I can't really offer anything further to what has allready been said, your issues are serious, therefor the forum in question has to be made aware how serious you regard them and to what lengths you are going to go to have them resolved.

Any letters you prepare now are your offer to have these issues resolved for the best of all concerned. There will be a timetable and deadlines that have to be met detaild in these letters.

Good luck.

Comment

What kind of business are you in? if you dont mind me asking.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    What kind of business are you in? if you dont mind me asking.
                    Automotive performance tuning and upgrades

Comment

Peugeot`s to be more precise.
                      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                        Peugeot`s to be more precise.

LOL! anything really not specilists on any make really! Lotus, renault, right up to porsche, aston martins!

Comment

Spas Chariots??????

Comment

Originally posted by Xena View Post
                            Spas Chariots??????
                            They might be called that where you live hun, but where I live a lot of pensioners drive Porches and the like pmsl.

Anyway back on topic !!!!!!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X