• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Son's Council tax Arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son's Council tax Arrears

My son has Council Tax arrears I believe of are around £1000. The Council have passed this to a debt recovery agency and the amount they are requesting was just under £1500 at he beginning of January.

I am prepared to pay the debt but wondered if there is any way I can get the amount requested reduced and will the debt recovery agency deal with me?
    Tags: None

Re: Son's Council tax Arrears

Hi welcome,
    By debt recovery company do you mean Bailiffs??
    If you wish to act for your son you need his written authority so to do.

The charges made by bailiffs are laid down in law and not negotiable.

Comment

He has had no visits from bailiffs, he has only received letters from Rossendales.

Comment

Rossendale Collect (debt collection) or Rossendales Bailiff arm?
        Can you possible redact one of these letter and post it here please?

Comment

It just says Rossendales PO Box 324 Rossendale BB4 0GE and is signed Enforcement Manager - email: enquiries@rossendales.com

Comment

What Notices/Letters has he received from Rossendales?

Comment

I not quite sure, he seems to bury his head in the sand, it appears from the one I have in front of me dated 9 December that he has at some point they have agreed that he can pay by instalments but he has defaulted and they are threatening further enforcement action and asking for payment in full.

Comment

I'm assuming this has happened since 6 April last year. If so the process will have been something similar to:

1 - for non payment Council will have obtained a Liability Order - possibly incurring £125 or so in extra costs.
                2 - still unpaid it will have been passed to Rossendales.
                3 - Rossendales send letter - Notice of Enforcement £75 charge) giving a period of time for him to make contact - assume he did not make contact
                4 - Next notice will have incurred a visit from the Bailiff (£235 charge) and it is probably at this stage a payment proposal has been made. The most important thing to find out is has a Controlled Goods Agreement been signed, has the Bailiff been in the house, if he has taken Control of Goods what has been signed for?
                5 - If he has broken a payment agreement it is going to be difficult to st another up as they will want payment in full.
                6 - check with the Council how much the original Liability Order was for.
                7 - check with the Bailiff/Rossendales how much is now outstanding and what fees have been charged.

Comment

I am willing to pay the debt but do you think Rossendales will negotiate with me?

Comment

There is no negotiation if the Fees have been lawfully incurred. You can pay what they demand as this lifts all the pressure, then investigate the fees and claim any refund if any. The alternative is to demand the breakdown of fees and argue each, however all this does is aggravate things and incur further visits.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X