• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Too late for help? CCJ defence - Statute barred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late for help? CCJ defence - Statute barred

Hi all

I'm desperate for a bit of help, i've received a county court claim form that I am trying to dispute but I'm rapidly running out of time!

Basically I believe the debt to be statute barred, the particulars of the claim suggest the unsecured loan was in default "on or about the Dec 05 2008", the date on the money claim form is the Dec 02 2014, so just under 6 years according to the claim.

However, i'm convinced it has gone over 6 years! I was away when I received the paperwork but just about got in on time to extend to 28 days (Today!)

I have sent them the following letter recorded delivery on the 16/12 however haven't received a reply:

Without prejudice
    Dear Sir/Madam
    Account No:***
    You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.
    I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:
    “An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”
    I would point out that in their Consumer Credit sourcebook, the Financial Conduct Authority states the following rules:
    "...a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period." 7.15.4
    "A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred." 7.15.8
    The last payment or acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me/us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me/us to recover the alleged amount claimed.
    I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.
    I look forward to hearing from you
    Yours Faithfully

The letter was a template sent to me by the national debt helpline, they advised me to speak to the CAB but I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from here as of yet.

I'm at a bit of a loss now on what to do! I can't find any help anywhere on what to write on my defence and I don't have much time left, any advice on what to write or if there are any services I can phone to get some help would be greatly received.

Thanks

Chris
    Tags: None

Re: Too late for help? CCJ defence - Statute barred

Welcome to LB

Hopefully it won't be too late. ray:
    Originally posted by chocolateteapot View Post
    I'm desperate for a bit of help, i've received a county court claim form that I am trying to dispute but I'm rapidly running out of time!

Basically I believe the debt to be statute barred, the particulars of the claim suggest the unsecured loan was in default "on or about the Dec 05 2008", the date on the money claim form is the Dec 02 2014, so just under 6 years according to the claim.

However, i'm convinced it has gone over 6 years!
    Any idea when you made your last payment?

I was away when I received the paperwork but just about got in on time to extend to 28 days (Today!)
    Did you acknowledge the claim?

You have an extra 5 days on top of the 28 days allowed for service so technically you'd have till the 4th to submit a defence. Realistically, I'd say Friday. :thumb:
    I have sent them the following letter recorded delivery on the 16/12 however haven't received a reply:

The letter was a template sent to me by the national debt helpline, they advised me to speak to the CAB but I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from here as of yet.

I'm at a bit of a loss now on what to do! I can't find any help anywhere on what to write on my defence and I don't have much time left, any advice on what to write or if there are any services I can phone to get some help would be greatly received.
    That's a letter normally sent when a claim has not yet been issued. There's been cases where a letter like that has been taken as a defence, however, you should still submit a defence to ensure they don't apply for default judgment. :scared:
    A SBd defence can be seen here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ing#post452862

Did you not send a CCA or CPR request?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
      Any idea when you made your last payment?

Did you acknowledge the claim?

You have an extra 5 days on top of the 28 days allowed for service so technically you'd have till the 4th to submit a defence. Realistically, I'd say Friday. :thumb:

A SBd defence can be seen here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ing#post452862

Did you not send a CCA or CPR request?
      I don't have an exact date I sent the last payment but I am convinced it is over 6 years!

I sent the acknowledgement of service in time so I should have the 28 days

I haven't sent a CCA or CPR request, i'm not entirely sure what this is, I followed the advice given by the national debt helpline and have only sent the above letter.

Thanks for your swift reply and for reassuring me about the 28 + 5days!

Chris

Comment

I don't see mention of a letter before action being received. If not, might that be relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by samsmoot View Post
          I don't see mention of a letter before action being received. If not, might that be relevant?
          I don't remember receiving one of these, I have moved house a couple of times though and won't have updated them of my new address, however, the court paperwork found me ok!

Comment

I don't have an exact date I sent the last payment but I am convinced it is over 6 years!

I sent the acknowledgement of service in time so I should have the 28 days

I haven't sent a CCA or CPR request, i'm not entirely sure what this is,
            Although it may be a bit late for that, here it is for reference: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...322#post418322
            I followed the advice given by the national debt helpline and have only sent the above letter.

Thanks for your swift reply and for reassuring me about the 28 + 5days!
            I'm afraid their advice is not that brilliant, sending the letter's fine when they haven't taken you to court, however, once a claim has been issued, you need to submit a defence, either online or returning the N9B - Response and Defence/Counter Claim form that came with your claim. Sending a letter is not a defence as such, although in some cases it has been taken as one.

Comment

I don't remember receiving one of these, I have moved house a couple of times though and won't have updated them of my new address, however, the court paperwork found me ok!
              It's just that pre-action protocol should usually include the Claimant informing the other party that they will be making a claim before they do it - and if they didn't do that this may be grounds for a challenge.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge may be able to shed light on whether or not this may be relevant enough to take up. I'd at least bear in mind that it could be mentioned that you received no LBA - that way they would probably be asked to prove otherwise. If they sent no such letter it may help your Defence.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone, hope you all had a good new years eve

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X