• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fine for Parking on Single Yellow Line/Footpath

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fine for Parking on Single Yellow Line/Footpath

For future reference, if the council offices are handy it is always worthwhile asking to see the council's parking order - and in particular the extent of the yellow line markings. Mistakes are common in implementing these orders - e.g. lines end up in the wrong place, plated times don't matching the order - or the lines are changed at some later time accidentally (e.g. after resurfacing) or intentionally (e.g. they were not quite right in the order) after the original order and the changes not reflected in an updated order. I used to be keen on following these things up but nowadays I would probably just pay the 35 quid.

Comment

Originally posted by rdpeat View Post
      For future reference, if the council offices are handy it is always worthwhile asking to see the council's parking order - and in particular the extent of the yellow line markings. Mistakes are common in implementing these orders - e.g. lines end up in the wrong place, plated times don't matching the order - or the lines are changed at some later time accidentally (e.g. after resurfacing) or intentionally (e.g. they were not quite right in the order) after the original order and the changes not reflected in an updated order. I used to be keen on following these things up but nowadays I would probably just pay the 35 quid.
      Good practical advice.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Yes, good advice as BB says. Another common error if you want to check that sort of thing is the actual signage. There are specific fonts and sizes of fonts which are frequently misused, and the reverse of the sign should, if I remember correctly, carry certain information which is often omitted.

This is one of several chapters governing signage:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...chapter-03.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
          Yes, good advice as BB says. Another common error if you want to check that sort of thing is the actual signage. There are specific fonts and sizes of fonts which are frequently misused, and the reverse of the sign should, if I remember correctly, carry certain information which is often omitted.

This is one of several chapters governing signage:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...chapter-03.pdf
          Thank you for posting the link, Wombats.

There is a retired policeman - not me, I might add - who has made it a crusade to check the construction of traffic restrictions and signage to ensure it complies with statutory requirements. Not surprisingly, he has found a good number that are not compliant and cost local authorities quite a lot of money in having to change restrictions to make them complaint, but also to refund motorists who have been wrongfully/unlawfully penalised, in the process.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I'll be contacting the Council re any parking orders. As I said there was a single yellow line along the footpath but, the footpath was closed and my car was parked on the footpath. Also, should add that this was the 2nd ticket that he/she issued at this time. Other person (from the Sales Team just paid up without any argument).

I don't think there was any problem with the lines - just the fact that traffic/pedestrians were not allowed.

Anyway, I've taken note of your comments if ever (hopefully not) I need them.

Thanks yet again for the time you take to answer these problems - really appreciate it.

Regards

Comment

Hello again Bluebottle

How interesting, I've paid my dues and now I think I'll find out if they were actually due ! Very interesting - as always from you.

Keep at it ! You're a credit to us simpletons !

Regards

Comment

Hello again

Are PATAS mostly restricted to the London (Greater London area ?)

I've gone on the website but can't find anywhere to complain about a ticket down here in Kent.

Is here another site to put your complaint to ? Or did I not follow the links ?

Regards

Comment

PATAS deals with appeals against PCNs issued by London Local Authorities and Transport for London.
                  For outside London the body is Traffic PenaltyTribunal http://www.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/site/index.php

Comment

TPT won't be iinterested, as far as they are concerned they will consider that the case is closed.

You paid despite being told that you couldn't pay and continue appealing.

The temporary TRO was for closure of the footway, not for temporary suspension of the waiting restrictions that the SYL imposed. Those restrictions still applied to the road and included verges and footpaths.

If the contravention was 01 Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours , then the pcn was correctly served.

Whilst you may well have believed you could park there legitimately, continuing a pointless crusade will merely make you even more angry and frustrated than you already are.

Put it down to experience and move on.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X