• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

notice of enforcement for council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notice of enforcement for council tax

Please helpI have just recieved a notice of enforcement from a bayliff that they will be attending my house to remove goods to pay the council tax arrears or they will get a magistretes order for a warrent of entry to force entrance.Please help i dont know what to do or were do i stand or how to stop this.
    Tags: None

Re: notice of enforcement for council tax

Do you owe the money and have the council got a Liability Order?

If so, have you tried to get a payment arrangement with the council?

The only way I know you can stop it at this stage is to enter into a payment arrangement and stick to it.

Comment

When i spoke to the council they said they cannot deal with it only the bayliffs

Comment

That appears to be a common stance, again, I understand the council cannot refuse to accept payments - others are more knowledgable than me on this and I am sure they will be along.

Comment

Correct the Council should not refuse payments, however the bailiffs fee/charges will remain payable.

Comment

You will have been charged a £75 Compliance Stage fee at present, and should have at least 7 clear days (excluding Sundays and Bank Holidays) in which to come to a repayment agreement with the enforcement company.

You are best working out what you can afford and putting this to the bailiff to see if they will accept it. If they refuse and insist on more, complain to the council. Try to get a recording of this conversation (most mobiles have a recording device) as evidence of what the bailiff says should you need it as proof of their behaviour.

The only way to avoid further bailiff charges is to deny the bailiff access to your home - they can enter only through an open or unlocked door (front or back, patio windows, French windows etc....) and then ensure anything of value outside your property (usually a vehicle) is kept a good 10 minutes away or better still, locked in a garage or a neighbours driveway which is private land, so they cannot clamp it. If you happen to have a blue badge, display it in the windscreen and it should not be seized.

Eventually, the bailiff will return the warrant to the council. On return of the warrant, the fees die. It is impossible to say how long this will take, and theories vary. Meanwhile, you should be paying the council directly, they are not legally allowed to refuse payment.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X