• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Constructive dismissal return from maternity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructive dismissal return from maternity

Have I got a case

i will have taken 7 months off on maternity when I return to work. I have asked to work 4 days in stead of 5. They have said they cannot accommodate my request in my current office (which I am the manager of) but in another office which is too far for me to travel.

i have asked what happens if I come back on 5 days and they are not committing to an answer. Other managers in other offices have returned on 4 days but they are saying it's because of the staff issues and the size of the office.
    Tags: None

Re: Constructive dismissal return from maternity

I'm sure you know that they don't have to agree to any request for a different working pattern. I reasons they have given seem adequate.

I don't understand your question about what happens if you go back for 5 days, isn't that what you are doing.

Comment

They have said I can go back on my usual hours and days 9-5 mon-fri to the same office BUT they will not allow any flexible working at this office not even doing a shorter lunch and working 9-4.30 which I would need to do to accommodate childcare. I don't think that's fair when every other manager in other offices has been allowed to work 4 days.

Comment

I suppose they are saying they want managerial cover 9 - 5 - although it does seem a bit petty to me.

As far as I understand it, you cannot in these circumstances rely on how other people have been treated. They will say that each decision is taken on its own merits and that it is founded on the needs of the business as they apply at the time.

Comment

I feel that I have no other choice but to resign. I think they are doing it on purpose to keep the person doing my job on for longer.

Comment

Constructive dismissal is extraordinarily difficult to prove, some statistics are quoted on here occasionally, I think it is about 4% of cases that are successful.

Think very carefully before you resign, your prospects of successfully claiming unfair dismissal on the facts you have given so far are, in my view, slim to zero.

Comment

I think so too but thought going back to work would be straight forward.

Comment

It is, if you were wanting to go back to what you were doing before.

It becomes more difficult if you want to vary it, as you are finding, sadly.

I wish you all the best.

Comment

Has the company followed this code http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/f/e...k-flexibly.pdf - If not you may have a claim and could take them to tribunal.

As per the other managers you mentioned, where they male or female if both what is the ratio i.e. 6 males v 2 females that are on flexible hours! If they are all male or any if any off the females on flexible hours have not got children, then you may have grounds for sexual discrimination.
                  Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

I presumed from OP that she was talking about other managers returning from maternity leave. Other managers in other offices have returned on 4 days but they are saying it's because of the staff issues and the size of the office.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                      I presumed from OP that she was talking about other managers returning from maternity leave. Other managers in other offices have returned on 4 days but they are saying it's because of the staff issues and the size of the office.
                      Yes they are all females returning from maternity leave.

Comment

I think I'm going to resign but say I feel like they have given me no other choice but to resign. I have to be able to pick up my child from nursery at 5.30pm which means I have to leave work at 4.30pm.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                          Just thought it was best check, just in case they had also been male managers allowed flexi hours too.

Originally posted by Elleroo View Post
                          I think I'm going to resign but say I feel like they have given me no other choice but to resign. I have to be able to pick up my child from nursery at 5.30pm which means I have to leave work at 4.30pm.
                          Before you resign - Did your employer follow the procedure in the ACAS code i sent you. I.e. did they assess the advantages and disadvantages of your application (you can take some of your work home with you you know), 2 - Did they hold a meeting with your to discuss your request, 3 Did they offer you the chance to appeal their decision?

Failing any of those 3, would likely give you grounds to take them to tribunal. But it would not be for constructive dismissal!

Also take a look here - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/80G
                          Last edited by teaboy2; 16th December 2014, 19:27:PM.
                          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

I sent an email to my line manager on 25 November asking for a 4 day week and she replied on 9 December saying she had looked into this for me and wanted me to submit a formal request?! I thought I had already done that.

i met with her today and she explained that a 4 day week was not possible in my office but was possible in another office (which is too far away). I said what if I do 5 days but take a short lunch and work 9-4.30 instead of 9-5 they have said no. The company is all for flexible working and are in public sector, I don't know of any female manager that they have denied flexible working to but they are to me.

I am lucky that I have another job offer to consider but I am so annoyed because I would have gone back there and I feel they are not being reasonable.

Comment

I take it you did submit a formal request then after she emailed you back?

Were you give the precise reason as to why not? and were you given the chance to Appeal? Did you inform them that if your not granted flexible working time, you would have no choice but to resign due to child care needs! Knowing that, may make the employer willing to compromise.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X