• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

'Market Conditions'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Market Conditions'

Just when you thought their manipulation of the truth to extract money from us couldn't get any worse... or more ridiculous!

I'm sure by now lots of you will have latched onto the latest game by the credit card providers - the now constant use of variation notices on both delinquent and non-delinquent accounts, to hike interest rates and offer up 'market conditions' as the reason to justify this?

Well, this morning I have received two letters. One from M&S Money bless 'em, who have, 'because of market conditions and your account status', actually decided to REDUCE my interest rate!

I then gingerly opened the other envelope. It was from Barclays/FirstPlus, who I have a second mortgage with. They want to INCREASE my rate for exactly the same reasons! :rolleyes: If it wasn't so bizarre it would be funny!

I've smelled a rat about this practice for a while now and have written about it on other boards (including a guideline piece on what to do when you get these letters).

Isn't it about time we took the industry on over this latest example of legalised robbery? The Regulators are staying away in droves on this one (do they ever do anything else?) and the banks are getting away with it once again.

I know that the variation notice is ostensibly a legitimate part of some agreements and one which we sign up to - but they have in my view sneakily transformed it from a occasionally-used tool to reflect their costs of doing business, into a profitable 'inertia' scam - and it's that which I think is completely out of order.

Thoughts, anyone?
    Last edited by HaliMac; 28th February 2008, 08:42:AM.

Re: 'Market Conditions'

Their clause means they can do as they please and legally they are doing as they please.

However we are contracted in and Unfair Contract Legislation means there are limits to what can and cannot be done and FP are in breach of this.

Every compliance expert that views FP actions and clause, states the same "they are in breach".

The difficulty is regulator approach.

FOS will not judge on fairness only whether FP act within the limits of their clause
    FSA - FP loans do not fall under their remit, only PPI
    FLA - wet lettuce
    OFT will not deal with individual complaints

I have spent the last 12 months going round this lot and it has been frustrating but a good learning curve.

We now know what we are up against and the evidence within FP accounts is damning and gives them nowhere to hide. The difficulty is that enforced change would put them out of business. They have only remained solvent by their actions and that is the part that puts them in breach of UTCCR.

It is only a matter of time now as far as I am concerned.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X