• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot / Yorkshire bank credit card - 24-11-2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Court Claim - Cabot / Yorkshire bank credit card - 24-11-2014

What good will the extension do them ? You still can't litigate the same case twice.

Have you sent them the ultimatum with the first claim form ?

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
      What good will the extension do them ? You still can't litigate the same case twice.

M1
      There’s no res judicata here – given enough time, they could manoeuvre themselves into a position where a judge might let the case go ahead. The first case was not judged – there was no finality, so they could easily enough request the original creditor formally discontinue, withdraw themselves, then start again.

As mentioned, I’ve seen a few cases where a second bite of the cherry was allowed, once the claimant got its house in order. It’s only an abuse of process if the first case remains live while the second proceeds. Having the case struck out gives finality.

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post

M1
        yes I sent that Friday afternoon

Comment

This is a copy of what I sent

Dear sir

I sent you a copy of the original claim on Tuesday which should be proof enough that this second claim you started is an abuse of process , I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to discontinue .

Failure to do so will necessitate a formal application to strike out the claim as an abuse of process, with costs.

If i have not heard back from you within 7 days i will assume you do not wish to discontinue and proceed with an application.

I await your response

Yours sincerely

xxxxx

Comment

That’s good. So they are on notice. Best get the wording of an app prepared, or seek legal advice.

I reckon if they received notice from solicitors acting for you, they would sort things out pretty sharpish – costs cut both ways on a fast track case. They have clear evidence now that they are in a situation where their action is an abuse of process. If you get this struck out, they would struggle to recover – you defended the first claim, so they would need the court’s permission to revive it under s37, as well as permission to be substituted as claimant. It’s also four/five years on. It’s a mess that needs nipping in the bud.

And if they withdrew and tried for a third bite, I think you‘d see them off easily.

Comment

Thanks don , I'm seeking legal advice as we speak .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X