• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Group Right To Buy Claim - Negligence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Right To Buy Claim - Negligence

Around 2011, I was being represented by a solicitors firm in regard to a joint claim in relation to 3 companies who were apparently working in cahoots with each other when I purchased my council property as part of the Right to Buy Scheme. It seems that the solicitors, the mortgagor and a third party company/agency were working together in their own interests instead of mine. I was advised by another solicitors company that I had a good claim, and that there were a number other people who were also affected and so the legal proceedings would be in the form of a group claim. All seemed to be going well and the claim was progressing. It got as far as the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division where my case was heard at a Case Management Conference on 22/05/2013 and the case was adjourned to the next CMC. I was advised that the claim was likely to go in my (and the Group's) favour. On 17/10/2013 I received a letter from the Solicitors Regulation Authority advising me that there had been an 'Intervention into the solicitors' who were representing me and the solicitors company had been closed down!

I was advised further that I should seek out another legal representative, that the Solicitors Regulation Authority were unable to recommend a specific company and that they would keep my records until such time that I wanted to retrieve them, or I could have my paperwork sent to me. I have had problems getting hold of a solicitors (although in fairness I have not tried that hard because I don't really know where to start), who would be willing to take the case up on a no win no fee basis as was agreed with the original solicitors.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kimbo66
    Tags: None

Re: Group Right To Buy Claim - Negligence

Welcome to LB

Originally posted by kimbo66 View Post
    Around 2011, I was being represented by a solicitors firm in regard to a joint claim in relation to 3 companies who were apparently working in cahoots with each other when I purchased my council property as part of the Right to Buy Scheme. It seems that the solicitors, the mortgagor and a third party company/agency were working together in their own interests instead of mine. I was advised by another solicitors company that I had a good claim, and that there were a number other people who were also affected and so the legal proceedings would be in the form of a group claim. All seemed to be going well and the claim was progressing. It got as far as the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division where my case was heard at a Case Management Conference on 22/05/2013 and the case was adjourned to the next CMC. I was advised that the claim was likely to go in my (and the Group's) favour. On 17/10/2013 I received a letter from the Solicitors Regulation Authority advising me that there had been an 'Intervention into the solicitors' who were representing me and the solicitors company had been closed down!

I was advised further that I should seek out another legal representative, that the Solicitors Regulation Authority were unable to recommend a specific company and that they would keep my records until such time that I wanted to retrieve them, or I could have my paperwork sent to me.
    The SRA wouldn't be able to recommend a firm, they regulate all solicitors and cannot single out any one firm or make personal recommendations.

I have had problems getting hold of a solicitors (although in fairness I have not tried that hard because I don't really know where to start), who would be willing to take the case up on a no win no fee basis as was agreed with the original solicitors.

Celestine, one of the site owners, works for this firm of solicitors which is part of the well known Quality Solicitors chain. They may be able to help: http://www.qualitysolicitors.com/howlettclarke
    I can't tell you whether they will be able to take the case or do it on a no win no fee basis but you can always ask. :cell: :typing:

Comment

For ref. http://www.legalfutures.co.uk/latest...g-conveyancers

Who were your solicitors?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I was advised further that I should seek out another legal representative, that the Solicitors Regulation Authority were unable to recommend a specific company and that they would keep my records until such time that I wanted to retrieve them, or I could have my paperwork sent to me. I have had problems getting hold of a solicitors (although in fairness I have not tried that hard because I don't really know where to start), who would be willing to take the case up on a no win no fee basis as was agreed with the original solicitors.

Kimbo66
        The company was Messrs Rohrer & Co Ltd, Finsbury Square, London. I hope i'm writing messages in the right place! New to this.
        Last edited by Amethyst; 9th December 2014, 07:40:AM.

Comment

Hope im msg in the right bit - new at this! Solicitors were Messrs Rohrer & Co Ltd, Finsbury Square, London. Originally,solicitors company was Bracewll Law (this company is not to do with the SRA.

I'll give the suggested solicitors a go. You're right, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Comment

''Rohrer was formed in 2007 and previously traded under the names Bracewell Law and Legal Direct, according to Companies House records.''

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/cit...30.fullarticle

What was the arrangement you had with Rohrer - did you pay any fees or was it entirely no win no fee ?

Did you have any dealings with Ashton Fox ?

Do you know what happened with the other cases in the group action and have you retrieved all of your paperwork from Rohrer / Russell Cooke following the closure ?

AVH T/a Tandem Law seem to have been running a lot of the cases - there's been no update of their site since July 2013. Last movement seems to have been November 2013 - Mr Justice Sales issued case management directions (see attached ) which basically puts everything on hold while test cases are sorted.

Interesting, in depth article about the RTB claims here -> http://www.kennedyslaw.com/article/righttobuy/

Also
            In March 2012, there were thought to be some 10,000 claims being brought on behalf of claimants in the main by three firms of solicitors, Ashton Fox, Tandem Law and Bracewell Law.
            Since that time, Bracewell Law has changed its name to
            Rohrer & Co, Ashton Fox entered administration in March 2013 and was acquired by AVH Legal LLP. In May 2013, Tandem Law also entered administration, and was also acquired by AVH Legal LLP.
            It is now currently unclear which firm of solicitors represents which claimants, and whether any block transfer of claims without individual consent has been legally undertaken.
            A Case Management Conference is due to take place imminently, and it is possible that a Practice Direction may emanate from this (edit:it did, attached), along with test cases.
            So AVH Legal LLP t/as Tandem seem to be the firm running these cases now.

If you do go to a new solicitors be very wary of anyone asking for money upfront.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Amethyst; 9th December 2014, 08:36:AM.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

thank you very much for tips and suggestions - so helpful and greatly appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X