• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Disability discrimination victory.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability discrimination victory.

Last November myself and a group of friends all met up for a weekend in Birmingham. We are all members of an epilepsy support website which offers advice and support for people with epilepsy and for their families too. On the second day a group of us went to Walkabout, an Aussie bar in Birmingham city centre. One of our group had an epileptic seizure whilst in the bar. She was not disruptive and we were able to comfort and help her. We were then approached by the bouncers from this pub and told to leave. I asked why and they said we were being trouble and might offend other people in the bar. There was only about 7 other people in there, so I asked them all if they felt offended, none answered yes. We still had to leave, so I asked for the manager, we spoke for a while, then he gave me our money back which was for the drinks we had just bought. I had one of my friends take a photograph of this happening.
    Afterwards we chatted and decided we were not taking this treatment and decided to ask them to explain their actions. We got no reply so decided to take court action. I worked on finding all of thr relevent laws which they had broken. We had a court date for Friday 29th of February. Today they sent us a letter asking if we would accept their appoligies and a cheque for £10,000 to go to the epilepsy charity of our choice. The staff had been put in their place and all staff are to get training on dealing with customers and discrimination.
    I am very pleased with the result and wanted to share that with all of you.

Thanks for reading,
    Hod..Liam..
    Last edited by Happyolddog; 26th February 2008, 10:21:AM.
    Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Re: Disability discrimination victory.

That is fantastic news Happy - Well done.

Which epilepsy charity are you donating to ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Great Victory Mate

Its a shame that this is the only way that these companies will listen, when it costs them money.

Comment

Well done Happy and what a good result for the charity.

Comment

Well done Happy that's great news
          Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

That is a fantastic result, good on you, it's just a terrible shame that you and your friends were put in the position to have to take action in the first place

Comment

Excellent news Happy, it's absolutely appalling the way you were all treated but well done for all your efforts of taking the trouble to fight them.
              Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas
              DAY 114: 03/01 Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70
              59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80
              179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs
              254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Comment

You've been a great help to me and this is an excellent result.

Well done you xx

Comment

This is a really great story Happy and I hope you are very proud of yourself and of your friends.

You should be - well done.

Comment

Well done Happy, thats absolutely fantastic news. Made my day arty:

Like others have already said, it is a shame action needs to be instigated before they will listen to your displeasure and disappointment at the way you were all treated.

Action of this kind seems to be the only kind of communication that gets things done. Which is a shame really. At least your efforts will hopefully benefit ALL future customers of Walkabout Bars.

Well done to you all !!!!! :grouphug: :whoo::whoo::whoo:

Comment

Brilliant result Happy. Well done xx
                      Is no longer here

Comment

with all these 10K donations floating around, when is someone going to donate to ME?? pffffft

congratulations HOD :okay:

Comment

Update,

Please don't let this story out to press. I spoke to the others involved late last night and we have been told that the money is a settlement on the provision we do not leak the story to the press. So I don't want the charity to suffer the loss of the money. So we are not going public.

Thanks,
                          Hod..Liam..
                          Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Of course they would say that, it is a standard clause inserted into any agreement to pay a sum out of court with no admission of liability. However, imagine how it would look if they tried to enforce it, against a charity.

That would be interesting to see, but of course, barring anything that has been done already, we will respect your wishes Happy.

Comment

Excellent news Happy!!!, sorry didn't have time to post before I went away.

Xena xx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X