• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer is going to keep my last months wages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer is going to keep my last months wages

About a year ago I borrowed £2500 from my employer. I agreed to pay back £144 a month for 3 years. I never signed any agreement and it has never officially appeared on my pay slip but has always been taken out of my wage before it's paid in to my account (sometimes written in pencil on pay slip -£144). Unfortunately things turned a little sour at work and I had no other option to look for a new job. Thankfully I found one. When I handed my notice in it was a mixed reaction but when I said that I fully intended to pay back the loan at the agreed rate, my employer said that he would not do that and would take the remaining balance ( around £1500) out of my last wage. This would leave me with about £250. I have 3 young children, very little savings and it's the month before Christmas.
    Can anyone tell me whether he is legally able to do this. I have guessed that it's some kind of tax dodge for him, lending kind of under the table. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Employer is going to keep my last months wages

The short answer is "No, he may not make this deduction"
    here's a link to ACAS :http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4122

If he persists in making the deduction you could take action via an employment tribunal, or even in the county court.
    The problem is that neither route is particularly speedy, and in the meantime you are without cash.
    I suspect you will have to show him he is acting illegally, by reference to the ACAS site, and convince him he will be in court at great expense to himself if e doesn't act in a fair and proper manner.
    You have an agreement, albeit unwritten, which you can demonstrate exists by the deductions made from your wages.
    He is not only breaking that agreement. but also acting unlawfully by making unlawful deductions from your wages

Comment

Can i suggest that the employer can deduct any deficit out of any final pay packet as that is a common contractual term.

The only time deductions can be made is if either a statutory measure such as a liability order, or contratual such as training/ HGV Licence, Etc.

If the employer can show that £2500 went from their bank account into yours, and you have been paying back direct to the company £144 a month, an implied contractual provision under custom and practice has been shown

To be honest this is just my own opinion as i do not know for sure. In your position i would send the boss a letter saying the deduction is unlawful under Section 13 Employment Rights Act 1996 and that you are considering a claim to the Employment Tribunal Service for redress
      Last edited by vengence872; 16th November 2014, 22:28:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vengence872 View Post
        Can i suggest that the employer can deduct any deficit out of any final pay packet as that is a common contractual term.

The only time deductions can be made is if either a statutory measure such as a liability order, or contratual such as training/ HGV Licence,

If the employer can show that £2500 went from their bank account into yours, and you have been paying back direct to the company £144 a month, an implied contractual provision under custom and practice has been shown

To be honest this is just my own opinion as i do not know for sure. In your position i would send the boss a letter saying the deduction is unlawful under Section 13 Employment Rights Act 1996 and that you are considering a claim to the Employment Tribunal Service for redress
        Not entirely correct, as various deductions can be made if excepted under section 14 of the employment rights act 1996. This issue falls under section 14 (ss 4):

Section 13 does not apply to a deduction from a worker’s wages made by his employer in pursuance of any arrangements which have been established—

(a)in accordance with a relevant provision of his contract to the inclusion of which in the contract the worker has signified his agreement or consent in writing, or

(b)otherwise with the prior agreement or consent of the worker signified in writing,

Also if such loans from employer is not covered by the contract of employment, it is seen as an Private loan to an individual, much like between 1 friend to another friend! So would form a separate contract, which can be either verbal or written. Though that does not give the employer the right to deduct from the persons wages.

The fact the deductions were not shown on the wage slips, leads me to question integrity of the employer, as such loaned monies advances and related repayment deductions should appear the wage slips for accounting purposes and evidential purposes. SO if their was no signed written agreement for the loand or written confirmation and agreed repayment schedule signed, or any other evidence of the loan being paid to the OP that is signed by OP, then the employer can not make any deductions!
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X