• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Should Ched Evans be allowed to play football after sentence for rape?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Ched Evans be allowed to play football after sentence for rape?

Discuss........
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: Should Ched Evans be allowed to play football after sentence for rape?

Light blue touch paper......
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I think your question is wrong - Maybe more.... Should a major football club employ a convicted (time served) rapist to play Football for them ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

His case is being considered for appeal so the difficulty as i see it is while he has been found guilty, that conviction could be overturned on appeal, so perhaps its best to wait til the end of the road to pass judgment on whether he should or shouldnt.

However, what are his options, if he doesnt work then the state supports him which means the tax payers pay his living, why shouldnt he be able to work to earn a living? hes served time afterall.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

I think public opinion will win end the end whether it is right or wrong for him to earn a living does not really matter to many

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            I think your question is wrong - Maybe more.... Should a major football club employ a convicted (time served) rapist to play Football for them ?
            ...who has never expressed remorse for his alleged victim.....

In response to PT, I agree with you but if he is found to have been fairly convicted then his lack of remorse is then more of an issue....

Other footballers have at least expressed remorse for their crimes....

Comment

To be fair of the legal system is allowing an appeal and this means he may be innocent showing remorse may be admitting the offence? Maybe his Solicitor could word a statement on his behalf
              We have a legal system that has processes that everyone has a right to so until this case ends its a very difficult situation .

I think he should until this ends either way lay low I think the club is wrong as is the Media for dwelling on this

Comment

It has not allowed his appeal. It is looking into whether or not there is evidence of a miscarriage of justice which would then lead to a referral to the courts

Comment

I stand corrected there may still be an appeal although it seems a long time since conviction to try for one.
                  If he was not a "celebrity" doubtful we would be hearing about him

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    I stand corrected there may still be an appeal although it seems a long time since conviction to try for one.
                    If he was not a "celebrity" doubtful we would be hearing about him
                    Oh no you don't. A rarity for me, but I am corrected albeit the appeal relates to the issue of good character.
                    http://www.justice.gov.uk/news/press...ourt-of-appeal

Having read that, then clearly the issue is not whether he did it but whether the jury might have considered that because of his good character that he might not have done it.....

Weird, imho.

EDIT: wrong case :o

Comment

What would you like him to do now he has served his time ?

Are there professions which you think are appropriate for ex convicts ? Would he be ok to play non league ?

Would you prefer he died ?

If you think the justice system was lenient that's not his fault. If Sheffield United are wrong to take him that's fine but this campaign to harass and harangue borders on vigilante justice which doesn't work too well http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...pher-jefferies

M1

Comment

Many footballers are to$$ers and have done some pretty shoddy things.

If he is good at playing football and Sheffield want to employ him then it's better than being unemployed. If he'd come out of prison and gone to work in Tesco's stacking shelves I doubt anyone would have been bothered.

I think its the perceived acceptance by the football club by putting him straight back into a quite high profile position, that he was in before the conviction, that's caused the furore.

I think people are saying 'footballers are role models for youngsters and see this acceptance and think that its okay' etc.

I don't necessarily agree but I can understand both viewpoints.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                          What would you like him to do now he has served his time ?

Are there professions which you think are appropriate for ex convicts ? Would he be ok to play non league ?

Would you prefer he died ?

If you think the justice system was lenient that's not his fault. If Sheffield United are wrong to take him that's fine but this campaign to harass and harangue borders on vigilante justice which doesn't work too well http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...pher-jefferies

M1

Show remorse for his victim would have been one of those things. Ex cons going back into the game is not my issue. My team, Cambridge United, had a player who had served his time for Manslaughter about 10 years ago.

Players have been to jail and come back out. However, this person was convicted of rape against a woman, a sexual crime. Footballers are there to be role models and to uplift an unremorseful rapist(pending appeal I might add) to the status of role model is not right.

IF his case is overturned on appeal then he has no blemish to his name but IF it is found that he had a fair trial and was convicted by a panel of his peers then I stand by the above statement.

EDIT: M1 NEVER choose a case in which a man was arrested for the MURDER of a student and subsequently cleared without trial. Ched Evans was originally convicted of the offence and then the victim was continually named by friends of the defendant. I think Ched Evans may be finding that Karma is coming around again to bite him.

BTW: Who is paying for his appeal?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            Many footballers are to$$ers and have done some pretty shoddy things.

If he is good at playing football and Sheffield want to employ him then it's better than being unemployed. If he'd come out of prison and gone to work in Tesco's stacking shelves I doubt anyone would have been bothered.

I think its the perceived acceptance by the football club by putting him straight back into a quite high profile position, that he was in before the conviction, that's caused the bandwagon.

I think people are saying 'footballers are role models for youngsters and see this acceptance and think that its okay' etc.

Sheffield United wasn't high profile.

We have to believe, for now, that he did it. This bandwagon is bad for more than just the vigilante angle. If his conviction is overturned what about the current victim then ?

However, he has done his time. I can see why the victim wouldn't want to be anywhere near him but the mob justice won't work.

M1

Comment

Hopefully not but it's pretty powerful ( the mob and negative publicity bandwagon jumping malarky that is)
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X