• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mother in law demanding money she gave us as a gift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mother in law demanding money she gave us as a gift

My father in law as left his half of the house to my husband and my husbands sister , if I have got it right my husbands mother can live in the house until either she passes , is to ill to live in it or even remarries ( she is in her 80s and on the last count has had at least 4 men friends :-/ ) and I am not kidding unfortunately :-(

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENBABE1966 View Post
      My father in law as left his half of the house to my husband and my husbands sister , if I have got it right my husbands mother can live in the house until either she passes , is to ill to live in it or even remarries ( she is in her 80s and on the last count has had at least 4 men friends :-/ ) and I am not kidding unfortunately :-(

Has the accounts of the estate been signed off?
      Who was the executor of the will?
      Was probate required at that time?
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hiya,

Thank you for sending over the letter and will docs earlier.

With regards the will, yes you are correct, she can live in it and you cannot charge rent, or try and move in with her lol.

That letter is really nothing to worry about. It does show what you and your Husband are going through though and must be very upsetting.

She may have had a chat with a solicitor (very briefly) and she may bring a court claim but I suspect if it is anything like the letter you will be able to dispose of it quite simply.

When it comes down to it the money was a gift from your husband's father to him for the business. It was discussed after your FIL's passing with your MIL and she confirmed it was a gift and wasn't to be repaid.

Anyway, as your MIL does appear to intend that letter to be a letter before action yes you should respond so you are keeping within the preaction protocols. I would keep it short.

Dear Mother,

I am in receipt of your letter dated 7th November 2014 indicating your intention to bring a County Court action against me for £3000.

My position is as follows;

1) In xxxxxxxxxx 2010 my father, Mr xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gave £3000 to me to assist me with the setting up of my business.
        2) Mr xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx indicated to me at that time, and on subsequent occasions, that the £3000 was intended as a gift and he did not wish to be repaid.
        3) On xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, following the passing of my father, I discussed the £3000 with you and you confirmed it was intended as a gift and he had never wished it to be repaid.

Please be aware I intend to defend any claim you may bring.

Yours sincerely

xxxxxxxxxxxx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Could you imagine what a judge might think of her argument! Where would it end? Parents suing children who did not get a degree after they had skint themselves to put them through college, asking for the cost of driving lessons back or the deposit for their first home! :crazy:No, this one is off its head and would simply look vexatious and petty to anyone with any common sense. Motherin Law has lost far more than £3k by doing this.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
          ~ Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by GOLDENBABE1966 View Post

she has already disowned 1 son years ago , all she lives for is her daughter and her daughters family , we didn't have time for her you see because all our family work , where as none of her daughters family work at all :-(
            Me thinks the daughter may just be the one stirring all this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
              Me thinks the daughter may just be the one stirring all this mess.
              Unfortunately you have hit the nail on the head :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Well the letter Amethyst did for you is a lot more apt and professional than the one you received, I would be inclined to send it and see what happens if anything. Only if you are comfortable though carrying this on, your OH should also be ok with it.
                Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X