• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business premises - time period of eviction process for non payment of rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business premises - time period of eviction process for non payment of rent

For the last three years i have rented a small retail outlet that is managed by a semi retired agent working from home on behalf of the owner. I have paid my rent on time throughout this period. I have added significant value to what was a very run down property , by having the walls plastered, redecorated throughout , adding wall display shelving and racks and new laminate flooring throughout.

Unfortunatrly , due to.increasing competition over the last six months profit has been on a downward curve to the point where I have realised it is time to lgive up the premises and work from home. The agent who collects my rent was aware of my problems and not prepared to be in anyway flexible or give any leeway. As a result I gave a months notice , and as I paid a month in advance this took care of my notice period,.i also paid a deposit equivalent to a months rent. The agent is denying I paid my deposit and refusing to pay it back.

A grave error on my part , but I am struggling to find the receipt for the deposit. However , I do recall having handed to the agent my deposit and insisting upon a receipt and terms of notice. In return I was handed a few scrawled sentences on a letter headed paper. He did not take a copy and I did not ever sign any kind of document in relation to the rental agreement.

As a result ( and unless I can find the signed receipt) I am unable to prove I paid a deposit and the agent is refusing to return unless I produce said receipt. He knows full well I paid a deposit and that he is blatantly attempting to rip me off.

Is there any way i can make this this lack of formal agreement work in my favour?

Ideally, I would have liked to remain in the retail premises until the end of December to benefit from increased customer spend leading to Christmas. If the agent intends to keep my deposit , I am of a mind to remain in the promises without paying further rent until the end of December. If I can find the name and address of the actual owner of the property I intend to contact them and explain the circumstances.

Its not the way I would normally work or choose to do things - but as the saying goes. 'don't get mad, get even'!!

I would appreciate any views , particularly relating to how quickly the agent could force a legal eviction ?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X