• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is council tax registration mandatory?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is council tax registration mandatory?

Hello,I'm new to the forums and to the UK, so please bear with me. Also, my apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section of the forum.I was offered a new job recently so me and my wife moved to London last week. We already found a house and I have a question regarding the council tax. I've read on many websites that we have to register to pay the council tax as soon as possible. The problem is that my landlord told us that we don't need to do that, that the bill would just show up and we could then pay the tax. Basically I think that he's saying that the bill will be in his name and we just need to pay him.Is this legal? Should I be worried about this? Thanks!JM--
    Tags: None

Re: Is council tax registration mandatory?

Originally posted by Ephex View Post
    Hello,I'm new to the forums and to the UK, so please bear with me. Also, my apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section of the forum.I was offered a new job recently so me and my wife moved to London last week. We already found a house and I have a question regarding the council tax. I've read on many websites that we have to register to pay the council tax as soon as possible. The problem is that my landlord told us that we don't need to do that, that the bill would just show up and we could then pay the tax. Basically I think that he's saying that the bill will be in his name and we just need to pay him.Is this legal? Should I be worried about this? Thanks!JM--
    Hi and welcome to LB and the UK!

In the UK, the occupier(s) of a property are usually responsible for paying the council tax, however, in some cases the owner of the property (the landlord) would be liable for the tax, for example if you were staying there just for a short time. I assume the landlord will have informed the council that he's let the property out to yourselves to avoid being liable himself, and the council will issue the bills in your name rather than his. You'd receive the bills directly from the council and you will have to make arrangements with the council to pay them, the easiest way is by direct debit. The amount of each monthly installment will be shown on your bill. Your landlord won't be involved as you are liable for the tax not him.

You may want to look at this page for reference: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...ay_council_tax

The hierarchy of liability is:
    1. a resident owner-occupier who owns either the leasehold or freehold of all or part of the property
    2. a resident tenant
    3. a resident who lives in the property and who is a licensee. This means that they are not a tenant, but have permission to stay there
    4. any resident living in the property, for example, a squatter
    5. an owner of the property where no one is resident.

Comment

If you are on the Electoral Roll as resident at a certain address the LA will register you for CT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephex View Post
        The problem is that my landlord told us that we don't need to do that, that the bill would just show up and we could then pay the tax. Basically I think that he's saying that the bill will be in his name and we just need to pay him. Should I be worried about this?
        Frankly, it stinks.

Comment

I would not trust anything this Landlord has to say on this, you could find yourself lumbered with a previous tenants or the Ll's debts.
          Check with the Local Authority to see if there is any outstanding liability.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            I would not trust anything this Landlord has to say on this, you could find yourself lumbered with a previous tenants or the Ll's debts.
            Check with the Local Authority to see if there is any outstanding liability.
            If that was the case, the could use their tenancy agreement to show the council the date they moved into the property. They also say they've just arrived in the UK so they're bound to have some proof that they were not only not living in the property, they weren't even living in the country!

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
              If that was the case, the could use their tenancy agreement to show the council the date they moved into the property. They also say they've just arrived in the UK so they're bound to have some proof that they were not only not living in the property, they weren't even living in the country!
              That would be an absolute defence as in not even in the country.

Now let me see small plot of land, caravan, would they try for council tax, or eviction as a traveller from my own land?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X