• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Meeting prior to a disciplinary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting prior to a disciplinary

Hi

A friend of mine at work has got into trouble for posting something on a social network, and may face disciplinary action. He has been told he must attend a meeting to discuss potential disciplinary procedures.

The problem is he has been told that he is not allowed a witness, not allowed to record the meeting or take notes and also not allowed to ask any questions or ask for any clarification regarding the "facts" that they are presenting.

Also that a record of the meeting will be kept on his file regardless of the outcome.

This seems pretty unfair to us all especially as none of this is outlined in our employee handbook, but was wondering what the legal rights are regarding this sort of meeting?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Meeting prior to a disciplinary

They need to clarify whether or not this is an informal meeting or not. If it is informal then the employer does not need to allow the employee to be accompanied. If it is formal then the refusal to allow him to be accompanied puts the employer on shaky ground.

Despite the employer saying the meeting cannot be recorded, I would record it covertly anyway. It could still be admissible at an employment tribunal despite the employer having forbidden it. It's better to have the meeting recorded and not need it than to need it but not to have it .
    Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by seanzshow View Post
      Hi

A friend of mine at work has got into trouble for posting something on a social network, and may face disciplinary action. He has been told he must attend a meeting to discuss potential disciplinary procedures.
      Surprisingly, I've kinda been there. Ensure that the post is deleted off the social media site if it is something that is NOT in the public domain. Remember that if something is in the public domain then they have a defence in law. However, if they did write something then they need to come into any meeting by stating that they deleted it, it was a moment of frustration and that they were unaware of any offence. Depends on situation btw.
      The problem is he has been told that he is not allowed a witness, not allowed to record the meeting or take notes and also not allowed to ask any questions or ask for any clarification regarding the "facts" that they are presenting.

Also that a record of the meeting will be kept on his file regardless of the outcome.
      Legally he has a right to a copy of any meeting notes including correcting anything that is inaccurate.
      This seems pretty unfair to us all especially as none of this is outlined in our employee handbook, but was wondering what the legal rights are regarding this sort of meeting?

Many thanks
      This might just be an investigating meeting. I would suggest that whatever they have written on social media should be deleted immediately and perhaps playing the dumb card might be in order, ie not aware of such and such. I would add that your friend needs to remember that anything work related should NEVER be on facebook unless it's positive. If you have a bad day at work, simply state, "thank god it's the weekend!" or simply say nothing and keep off social media.
      Social media is used by some people to vent at the world and can be a tool that will get you sacked. I rarely use social media to comment on work unless it is very generic in nature.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Yea its not particularly bad stuff he's put on FB and he's admitted it etc. The issue that...

he has been refused the right to ask questions

he's been told 5 people have complained about it - but not who they are or whether they are actually making a formal complaint or why they complained

Hes been told that he has none of these rights because the meeting is outside of disciplinary procedure - even though this type of meeting is described in the disciplinary procedure section of our staff handbook as the first step towards potential disciplinary action.

Neither of these things are procedures that have been highlighted in our handbook or raised with any member of staff before is a bit worrying to us all.

Do we have a right to have the full disciplinary procedure laid out for every member of staff to see. And if changes are made to this, is the company obligated to let us know. It seems like the moral stance is obviously they should, but not sure legally where we stand.

Cheers

Comment

Yea its not particularly bad stuff he's put on FB and he's admitted it etc. The issue that...

he has been refused the right to ask questions

he's been told 5 people have complained about it - but not who they are or whether they are actually making a formal complaint or why they complained
          Remind him that that means that 5 people he has friended on facebook are not his friends. In my case, I knew who did it because I am very picky who I get on facebook. He has one of two choices, either claim moment of madness which he regrets. Having a bad day, etc, etc,. What I posted myself was that part of a supervisor's job was BS. The rest of it was pretty bad but was all in the public domain(because I knew I had a defence to that part ).

Hes been told that he has none of these rights because the meeting is outside of disciplinary procedure - even though this type of meeting is described in the disciplinary procedure section of our staff handbook as the first step towards potential disciplinary action.
          It sounds like an investigation meeting, and if any notes are taken he should ask for a copy of them but I think he needs to go into it on the basis that he made a mistake(I hope he has never done this before and that what he wrote did not breach confidentiality either).

Neither of these things are procedures that have been highlighted in our handbook or raised with any member of staff before is a bit worrying to us all.

Do we have a right to have the full disciplinary procedure laid out for every member of staff to see. And if changes are made to this, is the company obligated to let us know. It seems like the moral stance is obviously they should, but not sure legally where we stand.

Cheers
          Full disciplinary processes should be in the contract and/or staff handbook. Worth checking if he has the up to date one. Has he been suspended from work?

Comment

Yes we got them to send the most up to date handbook out to the staff - all but 3 have never seen it before and it contains nothing about these disciplinary procedures.

No not suspended, nothing confidential. It happened because our CEO sent an email saying he was giving everyone on minimum wage a payrise, but it was actually that minimum wage went up. Ten people complained about the letter! The post was saying Thanks for following the law!

Does anybody know of anywhere the basics of employees legal rights in a disciplinary situation are set out?

Cheers

Comment

Yes we got them to send the most up to date handbook out to the staff - all but 3 have never seen it before and it contains nothing about these disciplinary procedures.

No not suspended, nothing confidential. It happened because our CEO sent an email saying he was giving everyone on minimum wage a payrise, but it was actually that minimum wage went up. Ten people complained about the letter! The post was saying Thanks for following the law!

Does anybody know of anywhere the basics of employees legal rights in a disciplinary situation are set out?

Cheers
              What exactly did he say? Take out names btw.....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X