• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty meter for over a year + back billing by npower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty meter for over a year + back billing by npower

Hi guys!

I received a 'bill reminder' for over £1500 from npower for electricity used between 11 March and 2 Sept 2013 last weekend.

I did not receive the actual bill, supposedly issued on 1st Sept 2014 but it was reflected in my online account.

When I first moved in in March last year I noticed the meter had stalled, and the letting agency assured me that the energy supplier had been informed.

After months of not hearing anything, I contacted npower and they offered to have engineers come down to replace the meter. On two occasions the engineer failed to make the appointment and on another 3 occasions the engineer said there was nothing they could do about it (various reasons like position of the meter interfered with my neighbour's meters, wiring etc etc) and they'd have to set up another appointment each time. It was frustrating because their appointments require you to be home all day and I had to take days off just to wait at home. The next available appointments would be months later + having to work overseas from time to time, I finally had a competent engineer replace it in July this year.

Now I certainly do not use £300 worth of electricity in a month which is what npower tried to bill me just for March 2013 alone. I am a single-person household and a university student. I do not have the means to pay that stupid exhorbitant amount. Also, I had not been living at my flat over the last 1.5 years before June 2014 - I had been living with my boyfriend - but never mind that, the point is, npower has no proof I had spent that much in electricity.

Also this is back-billing which is illegal as I understand, noting the dates of the latest bill (1 Sept 2014) for billing period between March and 2 Sept 2013 and wonder if they are trying to make the 'catchment period' as I understand they are not allowed to bill for periods more than 12 months before.

I have sent a complaint letter to npower about this but I have a job offer in the US and may not have time to settle this dispute before I go.

Would someone please share your experience with this and please let me know what I can do to assert my rights?
    Tags: None

Re: Faulty meter for over a year + back billing by npower

Hi and welcome Cuddlebunny
    You are right about back billing being limited to the past twelve months.
    Here's the code for your perusal:http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/files/do..._customers.pdf
    If you have two meter readings, say for example a week apart, you could work out an estimated usage for the past twelve months and put it to nPower
    that you are prepared to pay that less a substantial discount for all the problems they have caused.
    Send it to their CEO (recorded) and if they don't reply before you shoot off to the States you could send them a postcard with your new address!

Shopgirluk
    Hi and welcome.
    I have asked for your posting to be moved to a new thread, to prevent confusion

Comment

Hi
      I am also a customer of nPower and am also having an issue with them!
      They didnt bill me for over a year than hit me with a £1200 bill! They took £45 off as it was over 12 months old so yes you can request them to do that!
      I also believe that my gas meter is faulty as the readings keep going down?! They wont bill me as they have concerns about the reading, they are sending someone out to double check the reading!?
      So I have no idea how I will be billed now if the meter is faulty? surely they cant just assume how much I've used??
      Have you asked them about the meter being faulty? I can' see how you could of possibly used £300 electric a month if your hardly there!!
      I think nPower are totally usless!!!

Comment

Hi Kimberley and welcome to LB.

Obviously if your meter is recording lower figures it isn't working properly.
        When they come to remove the meter (I don't believe they can be tested on site) make sure the letter the engineer gives you, records the actual reading and check it is correct.
        Also record the meter registration number.
        I would also take a number of close ups of the meter to show it has not been tampered with.
        Probably there will be no problems, but better to be prepared than sorry.
        Regarding billing, if the meter is under reading the supplier can estimate the usage based on past records.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X