• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Buying a property but mortgage in partners name....how can I protect my interest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a property but mortgage in partners name....how can I protect my interest

I have recently been left some money which I wish to invest in a property on a buy to let basis to give me some income, I will be putting up 30% as deposit but am unable to get mortgage in my name for various reasons. I am living with my partner and he is willing to get the mortgage in his name for now until I am in a better position and can mortgage in my own name. This means until I can remortgage the property will be solely in his name.....Can I still have my name on deeds if not on the mortgage, how can I protect my interest in this if, god forbid, anything should happen to either of us? Someone said I may be able to put a charge on the deeds is this right and how do I do it or is there something else instead, this will be my children's inheritance eventually
    hope someone can come up with a solution

Re: Buying a property but mortgage in partners name....how can I protect my interest

Check with a solicitor, you may be able to register an interest in the property at the Land Registry so the property cannot be sold without your knowledge. Not sure if you can be added to the deeds or not, sorry.

Someone else may know for sure so please be patient until others have seen your post.

Comment

Re: Buying a property but mortgage in partners name....how can I protect my interest

I have properties that my husband is on the mortgage, but I have financed the purchase. We have declarations of trust in place which confirm that I have 100% beneficial interest in the property etc.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X