• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Halifax - 17-10-2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Claim - Cabot Financial / Halifax - 17-10-2014

You should put your defence in a couple days before the deadline. Your claim is dated 17 Oct ? so yes with the extension 17th Dec is about right. So aim to get defence in about 14/15th Dec.

Example defence for not a lot of documents is - http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...t-Court-Claims
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The normal practice is to wait until a week or so before your defence deadline to see what they send. If you've had no response at all, then email the solicitors to point this out and ask if they need more time to comply. Sometimes they will refuse an extension even though they haven't complied, but often they will agree to an extension, which can be up to 28 days. If they agree an extension then you must inform the court with a copy of their email agreeing this. If you know that they won't grant the extension, then we need to draft a defence on what we have, and that will include all the details of the non compliance.

Comment

is the defence submission by Email or Snail mail ?

Comment

Originally posted by bridbay72 View Post
          is the defence submission by Email or Snail mail ?
          Either, taking the time element into account. You can either return the N9B included in your claim pack or log in and submit your defence online.

Comment

This is such a relief to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about
            I have had no dealings with Cabot Financial since we sent a "prove it" letter in response to a mail communication many years ago , well over the SOL , NO Response at that time ! maybe we will get one this time ?

So what happens now folks ?
            Hi

Did they not send you a letter before claim? and if so did you respond to it ?.

Cheers

SNHF

Comment

Well Folks here I was doing my defence paperwork and postman pops a letter from Cabot through my door , which says (edited ) ..................
              Cabot cannot trace any paperwork but will continue to try ......
              Your Credit agreement is Currently unenforceable blah blah etc ......
              We cannot obtain a Judgement or Decree against you.....
              You are still obliged to repay .......

Comments and advice ?
              Is this still going to court ? Do I still have to submit my defence ?
              Regards

Comment

Well Folks here I was doing my defence paperwork and postman pops a letter from Cabot through my door , which says (edited ) ..................
                Cabot cannot trace any paperwork but will continue to try ......
                Your Credit agreement is Currently unenforceable blah blah etc ......
                We cannot obtain a Judgement or Decree against you.....

You are still obliged to repay .......

Comments and advice ?
                Is this still going to court ? Do I still have to submit my defence ?
                Did you submit your defence?

The letter sounds like a templated response to your CCA request which they would send to anyone, including those who haven't been taken to court. It is not a notice of discontinuance, you can't assume that means they will not continue with the claim. Others have made that assumption when receiving similar letters and ended up with default judgment against them. :scared:

I'd be tempted to contact Mortimer Clarke with that letter, asking them to discontinue the claim given their client admits they cannot get a CCJ against you, what would be the point of going to court?

Comment

Hi Folks question time again ...........
                  I have been looking through the various court scenarios regarding a Defence submission to court sections and am a bit unsure on which route to go down ? if I have had no paperwork from the claimants/solicitors should I go the " Non Compliance " route or should I go the "Statue Barred" route ? looking to submit by 12/13th December with the last date for submission at 17th !
                  Regards

Comment

Hi Folks question time again ...........
                    I have been looking through the various court scenarios regarding a Defence submission to court sections and am a bit unsure on which route to go down ? if I have had no paperwork from the claimants/solicitors should I go the " Non Compliance " route or should I go the "Statue Barred" route ? looking to submit by 12/13th December with the last date for submission at 17th !
                    Regards
                    Have you tried contacting Mortimer Clarke as suggested above? If their own client is saying (in writing) that this is unenforceable, why should they continue with the claim?

That would be my first port of call. The documents you have requested are not likely to shed much light on when the last payment was made. You could also tell Mortimer Clarke that, apart from their own client admitting this is unenforceable due to lack of paperwork, it is also statute barred. They onus would be on them to prove it isn't, and without paperwork, how could they? :noidea:

Comment

I had followed the advice about contacting MC`s about Cabot's letter , email sent on Friday 5th , awaiting response if any from MC.
                      The above questions were dependant on a answer from MC`s to the query thought a cut off date of the 12th then if no reply from either then in go`s the defence paper !
                      Regards

Comment

I had followed the advice about contacting MC`s about Cabot's letter , email sent on Friday 5th , awaiting response if any from MC.
                        The above questions were dependant on a answer from MC`s to the query thought a cut off date of the 12th then if no reply from either then in go`s the defence paper !
                        Regards
                        Do chase them up, it's worth trying to get them to discontinue at this stage rather than moving forward with a defence. I would tell them they are wasting their valuable time moving forward with a claim their own client admits to being unenforceable. mashappy:

Comment

Hi All Still no response from Mortimer Clarke`s or Cabot on the withdrawal !
                          Will wait till the postie has been today and then , if no answers , will complete the defence submission to go on Monday by email to the court , sound OK ?
                          Still not sure on which way yo go but leaning towards the "unenforceable" route especially with Cabot`s admission on this point .
                          Regards

Comment

Update: Sent in my defence notice to the court along the Non Compliance line for the 17th December court date as per advice from members on here ...........
                            Letter from court this morning stating that the defence statement had been received and that Cabots/Mortimer Clarke have been issued with a 28 day response notice to my defence paper , if no reply after 28 days the claim will be stayed with a application from the claimant will be to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay .

Thoughts ?
                            Oh , and a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Comment

All you can do now is wait for at least the 28 days and see if you get a response from the Claimants. If not we could write to the court asking them to strike it out.

So I reckon you can just relax over the holidays and put it to the back of your mind for a while xxx

Happy Christmas :reindeer:

Sharon xx
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi All Hope you all had a good Xmas & a Happy New Years eve We Did !
                                Back to reality........ as my defence went in and a 28 day producer was sent to Cabots will the 28 days include the xmas/NYE breaks or just treated as normal days ? ie: 28 days from the 21st December ?
                                Regardsr

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X