• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortgage lender wants face to face check on me to make sure I am disabled?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage lender wants face to face check on me to make sure I am disabled?

My mortgage is on an intrest only thing as i am ill/disabled unable to work...the DWP pay £90 a month which is most of my intrest with me paying the rest at £20 a month ...this has been going on for a year now and now the Nationwide Building Society wants to send someone around to see me at my house to discuss it even though I told them all they needed to know over the phone...I said that they can come to check I am not lying if that is what they need to do and is company policy...I asked what they can gain from a face to face that they cannot get on the phone? they just said they like to meet the client bull...and as I am still awaiting treatment,diagnoses,to hear from DWP about other benefits,and a med neg claim,they want to talk to me about it all...= BS to me...they are acting like I would expect a North Korean Bank would, this is not right IMO to operate like this...Are the NBS acting within the law? they have me good and proper as this is my home at stack and I fear saying no to them.
    Tags: None

Re: Mortgage lender wants face to face check on me to make sure I am disabled?

Whats the problem? Let them see for themselves you are Disabled

Comment

I just do not understand the need, who can tell other than a medical professional if I am disabled or not? what if on this day of the visit I am like I can some days be,healthy looking and able?
      This visit to an ill man to me is not right when they have all the infomation they already need,everyone knows stress does the ill no good...The fact the DWP has given me the benefits should be enough IMO....I will let them visit, but I fail to see what they can gain...Then again,I do not have a Kitchen at all,it is back to brick and gravel floor...Can they say my house is unlivable,unmortgageable?

Comment

Without knowing your full circumstances and the policy of nationwide it is difficult to respond.
        However, if your mortgage was previously a repayment mortgage, and has been changed to interest only, the Society may regard your mortgage as in arrears.
        This doesn't mean they are after you or bullying. They possibly wish to reassess the position and discuss the matter in a more relaxed atmosphere to come to the best way forward for both parties.
        If you are technically in arrears would you prefer they start repossession action, or ask you to struggle into their offices.?
        I don't understand why you wouldn't want to talk to your mortgagee.

Comment

ahh? no kitchen.
          Is it being rebuilt? Was there ever a kitchen? Do they know? If it is a rebuild involving structural changes do they know?
          Is this why you don't want a visit?

Comment

Thanks des8...you explain it well, I will relax about it now as yes I am in arrears of about £700 I think,with 16 years left...but ,my house is always worth the amount owed even when times have seen prices plumete ,and as the banks a few years ago were dishing out intrest only mortgages here there and every where I do think this now being an issue is nit picky.Still I play there game and see what happens.

Comment

ahh? no kitchen.
              Is it being rebuilt? Was there ever a kitchen? Do they know? If it is a rebuild involving structural changes do they know?
              Is this why you don't want a visit?

Sorry I missed that post Des8...must have been writing at the same time...There was a kitchen3 years ago,then i ripped it out whilst taking a break from work because i thought then that i was burnt out,had new kitchen ready bought to go in, fell ill, did not have energy to fit new kitchen,then my money run out.ended up selling the kitchen for food money ect as my illness never went away and i thought soon i would be working again and will just re-buy the stuff....and then the nhs finaly after 18months decided i was actually very ill and work was just not possible,I had op and now cannot afford a kitchen so have nothing .They the NBS are not aware of this, does no kitchen affect my mortgage? also I have no buildings insurance as the DD got canceled 6 months ago when i could not afford it, at the time I was recovering post op and even had a food parcel as i was waitng 24 weeks for my benefits.I am now finaly in a position to get it but when asked recently for a qoute they said something about the kitchen which prevented me from getting the insurance...I cannot see any good coming from this visit now I think about it...Can they reposess me for having no kitchen?,if so then I need to apply for some grants or something.Now I am worried.

Comment

Consider yourself fortunate in a way IsItRequired, My provider charged me £100 for a visit I did not want or need a couple of years ago! I guess that is the difference between a high street Regulagted lender and a sub-crime unregulated bandit!

Comment

The temporary absence of a kitchen shouldn't matter, if you can show them it is being reinstalled.
                  If it involves major structural work they may have required notification.
                  Just don't let them see the kitchen has disappeared if you can.
                  Yes, see if there are grants or anything available to help.

Lack of building insurance is a problem if they have been advised it's been cancelled.
                  They will have contingency cover to protect themselves, but you almost certainly have breached the conditions of your mortgage.
                  Besides which you risk losing everything in the event of a fire (and I know from personal experience that houses do get completely destroyed by fire).
                  It should be possible to get insurance on the house, even with the kitchen in course of replacement. Try a decent high street broker.

Comment

Thank you Des8, your words ease my worries and offer good advise,and its just nice to share a problem ,it helps,thanks again...I will get insurance but hiding the kitchen is not possible as I also have no front room aswell ...so the kitchen would be expected to be the same I guess so no point in trying to hide it ,I will just go on the work in progress idea, and cross my fingers.Luckerly the finished upstairs is to a high standard,other than my recent roof leak,you couldnt make this up I know,but now i have 1 slate of my roof and it blimmin leaked the other night into my bedroom,luckerly a bucket in the loft has solved this leak being a problem...times aint good,but with your guys help I will fight on.

Comment

I think there is a govt schemme in operation that will fit a new kitchen free of charge if you are on benefits etc etc.....don't take that as gospel but there are peeps on the forum who could advise you better on things such as this than I can ....so ask if there is someone who can asssit you in that direction
                      Sparkie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X