• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer rights when deposit withheld - Re GEMMA BOND

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer rights when deposit withheld - Re GEMMA BOND

Hello,

I am looking for some advice and to see if anyone else has had dealings with Gemma Bond or the connected companies.

I recently got married and used several suppliers. One of these suppliers is refusing to return our full deposit.

The company concerned is called Gemma Bond http://www.gemmabond.com/ (Part of Pockit world Trading Ltd.)

The lady who owns it is coincidently called Gemma Bond and is also interconnected with her Husband's company Bond Marquees http://www.bondmarquees.co.uk/welcome (Simon Bond Events Limited).

All the companies are registered to Melbourne, Derbyshire.

Gemma Bond supplied candles holders, and other finishings for our wedding. Bond Marquees supplied tables. The total cost was around £1000. It was pretty expensive for what was received, but due to the circumstances and time frame we decided to go with it. Gemma also charged a deposit (which she only mentioned just as we were about to pay), this was around £170. The entire process with Gemma Bond was incredibly unprofessional (I won't go into all the details) but the closer we got to the wedding the more apparent this became. When the goods arrived to the event, many of them were dirty. We were very busy and didn't have much time before the wedding so just got on with everything and made the best of the things we had. We went away after the wedding and decided not to complain or ask for a refund from Gemma Bond. We had a lovely day and didn't want anything to mar what was a very special occasion.

On returning from our honeymoon we hadn't received our deposit yet so I emailed Gemma Bond to ask for it. She replied and said the deposit would be returned in a few days. A few days after the proposed date, no deposit had been returned. I contacted her again (now 25 days after the wedding) and she then said we would not be receiving the full deposit as there was a problem with some of the returned goods. Namely, she had to clean some. After numerous emails back and forth she returned half the deposit but refused to return the remaining amount. We felt completely ripped off!

I think she would never have contacted me if I hadn't persisted in contacting her and never intended to return the deposit (or probably ever does!). We know the goods were not any worse than when we they were delivered in the first place. We weren't given any evidence and only told after 25 days and numerous communications. It was implied in the first place that we would be receiving the full deposit, but then she decided to change her mind.

The money isn't a huge amount, so that isn't our main concern. I want to know if the are any appropriate trading standards etc. that we can report Gemma Bond to? As a small business owner, bad practice from other small businesses really annoys me. I want to ensure other people are aware of their behaviour and make sure Gemma Bond doesn't rip off any other potential clients. Brides and Grooms are often very vulnerable around the time of their wedding. I feel Gemma Bond takes complete advantage of this and is in a way a con woman!

Her strange and unprofessional behaviour throughout the process was unlike anything i have come across before, so I would also be interested to know if anyone else has had any problems with this organisation??
    Last edited by DisgruntledBride; 8th October 2014, 07:49:AM.

Re: Consumer rights when deposit withheld - Re GEMMA BOND

Hi Disgruntled Bride and welcome to LB

I have huge sympathy with you as it was very bad behaviour on the part of one of the suppliers for my daughter's wedding that first brought me to LB. It's truly horrible that some people will use what should be the happiest of memories to try to just rip you off that little bit more, knowing you won't want to tarnish the memory.

You could try sending her a final demand giving her 14 days to pay followed by a LBA, then take her to the small claims court - but I would think it would cause you a disproportionate amount of stress.

I think you are right to publicly shame her, if only to warn others. You never know, it might make her realise that such unpleasant behaviour will only come back to damage her and consequently change her ways.

Others here will advise you on possible legal routes.

Good luck - and many congratulations. I hope you're enjoying married life!

Comment

Re: Consumer rights when deposit withheld - Re GEMMA BOND

Hi MissFM,

Thanks for your reply and advice!

When we started planning the wedding I was aware many companies add a 'wedding tax' on everything, but wasn't expecting to be ripped off and taken for a ride to this extent.

I will do my best to ensure future brides are aware of Gemma Bond's events company and its bad practice, so they can't continue like this.

Thanks again 😄

QUOTE=MissFM;478087]Hi Disgruntled Bride and welcome to LB

I have huge sympathy with you as it was very bad behaviour on the part of one of the suppliers for my daughter's wedding that first brought me to LB. It's truly horrible that some people will use what should be the happiest of memories to try to just rip you off that little bit more, knowing you won't want to tarnish the memory.

You could try sending her a final demand giving her 14 days to pay followed by a LBA, then take her to the small claims court - but I would think it would cause you a disproportionate amount of stress.

I think you are right to publicly shame her, if only to warn others. You never know, it might make her realise that such unpleasant behaviour will only come back to damage her and consequently change her ways.

Others here will advise you on possible legal routes.

Good luck - and many congratulations. I hope you're enjoying married life! [/QUOTE]

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X