• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Licencing Graphics that are not his?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Licencing Graphics that are not his?

Reading the letter the lawyers sent me reminded me that our website designer/graphic designer has his own site and on this site, he included me as the contact!!! This is why the lawyer refers to two sites!

Here's a copy of the letter, hope it's readable. We also received this via FEDEX Expedited service:
    'Ariel makes your whites Browner'

Comment

If the two websites he refers to are based and hosted in the USA, then he has you by the gonads. If they are based and hosted in a country outside the USA, then he is going to have to be more specific as to which copyright convention he is claiming under.

His letter suggests he is quoting U.S. Law, which does not apply in the United Kingdom. There is no harm in asking him what I have suggested above.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Another useful site: http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/co..._copyright_law :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

My hosting service is US based - Total Server Solutions.

Since receiving the 'cease& desist', I've become aware that many who've found themselves in a similar predicament 'don't give a damn', maybe they have the right attitude? I didn't want to take any chances so complied fully. To be honest, if I've heard the end of the matter, I got off lightly. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

I have read a lot about copyright law BUT, would need to be a 'Philadelphia Lawyer' to understand a small part of it!

In my case, the website designer/graphic designer placed his designs on both sites - I was happy with the arrangement because I trusted him and my site was looking good.

I've since received (yesterday evening) a detailed list of commissions he's claiming from me for the use of HIS artwork. From this, I've been able to calculate what is & isn't legitimate. He's claimed £948 I make it £147.89.

Thanks once again for the support.
          'Ariel makes your whites Browner'

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X