• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Service Engineer Off-Sick from seizure but lost driving licence... Advice please??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Engineer Off-Sick from seizure but lost driving licence... Advice please??

Hi, I work for a well known electrical retailer white goods repair division and demands lots of driving .
    Due to long working hours and minimal sleep from new baby (sleep deprivation), I had an isolated one off seizure back in August, I have been signed off by my gp untill late October as thats when my final hospital tests are but have already been told I'm fit for work. But in dvla regulations I had to surrender my licence for 6 months from day of seizure. Once I've had my final October check my gp cannot sign me off any further but do not get my licence back untill mid February. My employer has told me they cannot offer practical alternative duties because I will still have issues finding my own way to the depot each morning.
    They have already took my van and tools off me to give to someone else been recruited.
    Me and my manager are still on good terms but my case has not been assessed yet, possibly because I am still signed off till late October but what do I do after that??
    I enjoy working for the company and rather I didn't leave I suppose it's beyond me I feel.

Am I best applying for unpaid leave?
    Do I cut my losses and leave or wait till they let me go (if they let me go)?
    Or do I do nothing and wait to see what they say?

What would any of you guys or gals do?

Any guidance will be awsome.

I can't get hold of my local CAB because they are hopeless >:-(.

Many thanks.

Anominus.
    Tags: None

Re: Service Engineer Off-Sick from seizure but lost driving licence... Advice please?

If you have discussed this with your employer and exhausted all avenues I would suggest you make a call to ACAS 0300 123 1100 (8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-1pm Saturday). Have a good read around their information first as it may help to narrow down your query www.acas.org.uk
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Re: Service Engineer Off-Sick from seizure but lost driving licence... Advice please?

Unfortunately a company can dismiss you after a period of time on sick leave, and it will not be deemed as an unfair dismissal.
      As unfair as it may seem, you have to consider the company's position.
      It has to run a business in the best way possible, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to keep you employed until the middle of February.
      You have no driving licence, and your check up is not until October, with no guarantee on the result.
      I am not being hard on you, just being truthful.
      You could ask your employer for unpaid leave, pending the result of your medical check up and reinstatement of your driving licence.
      Depending on how badly you want to stay with the company, you could just play it by ear.
      Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
      JB:tinysmile_twink_t2:
      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

It sounds as though they are prepared to find you other duties if you can get to the depot - is there absolutely no way you can do that - it might be worth a few months of inconvenience to keep your job?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X