• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitors merge and request fees 2 years later

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitors merge and request fees 2 years later

Hi, I am going through a divorce and 2.5 years ago me and my ex had separate solicitors, we were going though the normal letter exchanges and one evening we both received a letter from each of our solicitors saying that they are merging and that due to the circumstance they will no longer represent us from tomorrow morning.
    they had the nerve to fully represent us all the way till they merged, they obviously knew for some time they were going to merge but carried on which was a complete conflict of interest and we're not really acting honestly in my eyes as they took the money.

now here it really comes, we selected new solicitors and had our files sent as they requested us to pay which I thought was crazy but being a soft kid I paid, they changed their name on the merge and now 2 years on have sent my new solicitor a letter stating I must pay an outstanding bill that I know nothing about, I don't know what to do on this one as I can't prove it they could print a letter and say I owe anything couldn't they laugh out loud I am lost at present, could anyone shed a light ? Thanks team
    Tags: None

Re: Solicitors merge and request fees 2 years later

Hi

You need to send a formal complaint to the managing partner(s) of all the solicitors involved, making it clear that you require them to activate their complaints procedure and investigate fully at no cost to yourself.

In your position, I would also contact the SRA and forewarn them that you have initiated a complaint, which, if not satisfied (I believe within 8 weeks but do check) you will expect them to take things further.

Comment

The SRA doesn't deal with complaints from the public, that is the Legal Services Ombudsman http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/prob...egal-ombudsman

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
        The SRA doesn't deal with complaints from the public, that is the Legal Services Ombudsman http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/prob...egal-ombudsman
        Sorry, stevemLS, but I beg to differ - unless things have changed radically while I wasn't looking, lol. In any case, one will refer to the other where the particular complaint is inappropriate (if you get me)....

Whatever, the OP must initiate the complaint ASAP, according to the formal complaints procedure, with the individual solicitor(s) and then either the SRA or the LOS (depending on the nature of the complaint) will kick in if the OP is not satisfied.

Comment

The link I posted says that all public complaints must go through the Ombudsman and if they, the Ombudsman thinks there is a regulatory issue, they refer to the SRA

From SRA website:

We deal with cases where firms or those we regulate have breached the SRA Principles. Most of the time, complaints about solicitors are about poor service, and therefore should be sent to the Legal Ombudsman. If the Legal Ombudsman thinks your case involves a breach of our Principles, they will refer your case to us. Likewise, if you report a solicitor to us for poor service, we will refer you to the Legal Ombudsman; read our Memorandum of understanding (PDF, 3 pages, 66K) for more information on this arrangement. We do not have the power to award compensation for poor service, or to reduce or refund your legal fees.

​I agree that OP must complain asap

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
            The link I posted says that all public complaints must go through the Ombudsman and if they, the Ombudsman thinks there is a regulatory issue, they refer to the SRA

From SRA website:

We deal with cases where firms or those we regulate have breached the SRA Principles. Most of the time, complaints about solicitors are about poor service, and therefore should be sent to the Legal Ombudsman. If the Legal Ombudsman thinks your case involves a breach of our Principles, they will refer your case to us. Likewise, if you report a solicitor to us for poor service, we will refer you to the Legal Ombudsman; read our Memorandum of understanding (PDF, 3 pages, 66K) for more information on this arrangement. We do not have the power to award compensation for poor service, or to reduce or refund your legal fees.

​I agree that OP must complain asap
            No significant disagreement at all, StevemLS :yo:- let's see the result of the OP's initial complaint....and to the OP: please do post back with this

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X