• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

self assesment fines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self assesment fines

Hi guys,
    I am asking for help as I honestly have no idea what i am talking about here.

Hubby is one of 3 brothers, i get on with Brother J but me and Brother F have never really seen eye to eye, and now we barely speak.
    My problem is for Brother F, which is why the details are a bit scant.

Brother F is a bit of a.... how to put this politely... IDIOT!
    He has 2 phone lines to his property, but never answers either, he gets mail which he piles up unopened because he knows what is in it before he opens it, that kind of thing, just so you know what kind of person you are dealing with.

Recently he came up to babysit my dogs while I went on my hols, and Hubby has just driven them back to London and found a letter from the Tax People with a self assesment tax return fine in it. He is being fined £300 (or so he says)for not filling in his tax return, the problem is, he has NEVER done a self assesment as he has never been self employed and is now retired (hes 74 ish).:noidea:

Hubby, being concerned, started digging deeper and was told this is the 3rd year running Brother F has been fined, and that Brother J has been paying the fines to stop the bailiff etc. Brother F is just leaving the letters on the side and ignoring them. :lalala::lalala:

When Brother J called my mum to say that they were home, they fell to talking and Mum said that Brother F was supposed to claim a free TV licence, but he had said he was £3000 in debt with the tax people!!

Obviously Brother J is panicking about how to pay this £3000, but no one can find out why a 74 year old man, who was employed by a nationally recognisable company *coughs parceline* is getting self assesment forms in the first place!

any ideas?
    I am only asking this for brother J and to help rest his mind!
    Tags: None

Re: self assesment fines

I understood as a retired person you only received a self assessment form if you applied for one.

Income tax, if payable, is paid on state pension and private pension by the company who pay the private pension.
    If there is no private pension, but income tax has to be paid on state pension, then an application for self assessment is required.

Having read what I've just written, sounds too simple for any government dept. Others might have a different understanding.

Some one needs to contact tax inspector to find out what is going on

Comment

hi

Don’t know if this is relevant but I use to work for parceline
      It is now known as DPD.
      They did have a self-employed Owner Driver Franchisee.
      This could explain the self-assessment forms.

http://www.dpd.co.uk/content/careers...ranchisees.jsp
      Last edited by vanman; 14th September 2014, 15:10:PM.
      Don't let them grind you down

Comment

thanks hun but B-I-L was in admin.
        He's never ever filled in a self assesment form and admitted he has only had getting them for 2 years.
        Hubby is getting info out of b-i-l for me all the time, but hes a cantankerous old sod!!!

Comment

Someone needs to contact HMRC as soon as possible - not beyond the realms of a name mix up. I've had plenty of these over the years and never had to pay one after appealing them.

Comment

can this be done on his behalf.. not that he will admit it but hes deaf as a post and miserable as sin!

if I leave it to him he will be 200 before he picks up a phone!

Comment

He might be deaf and a miserable old git, but to me he sounds as if he's not looking after himself financially and is vulnerable in that area.
              It might not be enough to have him sectioned, but I can see no reason why one of his brothers should not write to Tax inspector explaining his attitude, the position he is in and asking if the case can be investigated.
              At least it can't make things worse, and the worst that can happen is they tell brother to butt out

Comment

All it takes is authorisation by him for someone to deal with them - sometimes can be done over the phone. One more thing to consider is that HMRC operate out of the dark ages. My tax affairs are dealt with by different offices and none can talk to the other unless by letter or FAX - a complete nightmare.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X