• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

"A Bar was put in place" - Money Claim Online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Bar was put in place" - Money Claim Online

Hi,

In May 2014 I filed a small claim via MCOL against a former housemate for unpaid bill money.

She did not respond to the claim and the judgement was issued by default on 12th June 2014.

In August 2014 I had the case transferred to Basingstoke County Court so that I could take enforcement measures. My first step was to send off an N316 form so she has to attend court for questioning.

I spoke to Basingstoke today and they confirmed they had received the form and the relevant documents were being sent out to me.

I logged into MCOL to check and it says this:

A bar was put in place for Miss DEBTOR on 13/08/2014

Your claim was transferred to BASINGSTOKE on 13/08/2014

What does "a bar was put in place" mean? That I am barred from enforcing the claim? I have not received any documents or letters from MCOL or Basingstoke Court about any applications she will have made. I doubt she is organised enough to even file such a motion.

I notice that the "Request Warrant" button on MCOL is no longer available.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: "A Bar was put in place" - Money Claim Online

Presumably as she has been called for questioning via your N316 form the system will prevent you taking further action whilst that is proceeding. The court have stated that the documents are being sent out to you so you need to wait for those to arrive to assess your next step.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer!

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can physically give her the documents to summon her to Court?

When I sent her the letter saying that I would take legal action unless she paid up, she rang the Police and complained that I had been harassing her and following her home from work and similar - all utterly preposterous but I'm wary of a similar situation.

Comment

I would hang fire and wait for the documents from the court. Refrain from contacting the defendant directly at all particularly as the situation sounds sensitive.

'' I spoke to Basingstoke today and they confirmed they had received the form and the relevant documents were being sent out to me.''

''The court will draw up an order in Form N39 (Order to attend for questioning), using the
        information you have given in your application. The order will:
        • give a time, date and place for the debtor to attend to be questioned;
        • give an explanation that the debtor must attend and must answer, on oath, the
        questions asked by the court officer;
        • tell the judgment debtor to ask you to provide sufficient money to cover any travel
        expenses to and from the court if it is needed, and that this request must be made to
        you within seven days of receipt of the order to attend; and
        • tell the debtor, who wishes to pay the amount due, that payment should be made
        direct to you.''
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Received the documents today.

Any advice on how to deliver them? What happens if she refuses to take the letter?

I am thinking about driving to her address on a Saturday morning when I'm guessing it's likely that she will be at home.

Comment

You could take it around yourself (if its not going to end in fisticuffs) and complete the affidavit or engage a process server to do it for you.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Right, I attempted to serve the order today.

The debtors father answered the door and told me that the debtor did not live there and was living in another city. Then her mum came to the door and said that she was travelling.

I know from the debtor's social media activity (lots of references to living at home) that this is a lie.

Can I phone the county court and tell them that delivery was not successful and that I doubt future attempts will succeed? And then ask if I can post the order?

Comment

I would just send the documents "signed for". Here's an extract fromhttp://www.aboutsmallclaims.co.uk/serving-court-papers-documents.html:
                A claim form is deemed to have been served on a defendant even if it has been returned to the court marked undelivered – provided that it was sent to the last known or usual address of the defendant. The claim form is even deemed to have been served if the claimant knows that the defendant has left that address – unless they know the defendant’s new address.This rule is so strict that there is nothing the defendant can do to rebut it even if they have conclusive proof that they never received the document. There is even case law that says that service was still good where a document was sent to a property which had previously been destroyed.

Comment

Ok thanks, I spoke to the Police as her father confronted me in my car a few minutes after I left their house and had to held back by her brother.

Police said I could've asked them to attend, am awaiting a call back so good to know I can post also

Comment

I have just posted a question re this BAR business. What exactly is it? I haven't asked for Judgement because the actual date wasn't up for them to respond until today. This being a Saturday they would have had until Monday anyhow. But they have filed a defence now. The gentleman in this thread had asked for Judgement because the defendant hadn't responded, and a Court date was due to be fixed. I haven't got that far yet. Any help appreciated. Thanks Aunty F.

Comment

The Bar is put in place so you can't get default judgment whilst the court processes documents received.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X