• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bryan Carter Solicitors / Lowell / Lloyds - Success !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan Carter Solicitors / Lowell / Lloyds - Success !!

After many years of using this site for advice, this is the very first thread that I have posted. I thought it best to start with a success and I hope that this helps anyone else out there who is looking for help.

Earlier this year BCS sent me a pre lit letter saying they were to litigate with regards a Lloyds Bank Account overdraft. The next day I received the claim form from Northampton.

After some advice (thanks PT) I decided to negotiate a settlement as this was a bank overdraft. However, the claim form did not state that it was a bank overdraft. It was quite vague and said that the claim was for an amount due under an agreement between the original creditor and the defendant to provide finance and / or services and / or goods. It went on to mention the assignment to Lowells etc.

I considered this all a bit vague and it made me suspicious. I noticed that the particulars included the bank account number and I recognised it as being a joint bank account that i held with my wife. However, she was not mentioned in the claim. This made me more suspicious. So I emailed Lowell and asked them for details of the account to which they referred quoting their own reference number that was stated in the claim. Note that this differed to the Lloyds account number. Lowells came back to me to say that they did not have an account in my name with that number. The plot thickens I thought.

I'd read on these pages that quite often BCS will litigate without having any documentation. And of course it does not make sense for someone to be able to litigate without having any evidence to support their claim.

So I write to BCS quoting CPR 31.14. They ignored this.

I put my defence to the court that i needed to be sure for what Lowell and BCS were claiming before I could defend or admit appropriately.

I wrote to BCS on three occasions to chase copies of the agreement, statements and the notice of transfer. All were ignored.

All that I received from BCS was letters requesting me to make an offer. Now this got me thinking. Why would they accept an offer if they were so sure of getting what they claimed.

So i stuck it out.

Eventually the Allocation Q arrived and I completed it, transferring it to my local court. Which just happens to be very far away from BCS.

I then completed a form N244 - an application to the court - requesting the documents that BCS intended to rely upon. The court ignored this application and instead they responded to the allocation q with a Notice of Allocation (Hearing). Within this was a section called "Preparation for Hearing". This stated that the parties must file at the court and serve on the other party not later than 14 days before the hearing; (a) copies of all documents upon which they wish to rely, (b) statements of all witnesses (in a types format, signed and dated). It went on to say that all original documents must be brought to the hearing and if the docs were not filed and served then the court may decide not to permit them. 15 days before the hearing date BCS discontinued.

I was always sure that had they had the documentation then they would have been proud to reveal it so that I would settle. It would not have made sense not to.

It goes to show that it is always worth prodding and asking a few questions before capitulating.

Hold your nerve!!

MrF

Re: Bryan Carter Solicitors / Lowell / Lloyds - Success !!

Hi MrF, and welcome, finally Well done on your handling of the claim, sounds like you dealt with it perfectly, and you're right, sometimes it is just a case of holding your nerve. Thank you for reporting back to us, it will go on to help others. Sharon xxx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

this gives me a little bit of hope. I'm in a similar situation and Lowell may/may not have requested info from the original creditor - can anyone make a SAR request? or could it only be me?
      I have requested the contractual information on numerous occasions and BC/Lowell have just responded by letter saying that evidence will be provided at the hearing.
      I'm getting to the stage where I am getting very nervous..... I cant remember dates but do know heir accusation of a payment in 2013 is false - my credit file states a default date of December 2008 but this just cant be correct either and the whole start of this process was m querying the new credit file info (it changed in January 2014).
      obv your example shows how far they will go but I am totally confused and it's got so messy! I cant see them backing down but so grateful for your post!

Comment

Originally posted by okateo View Post
        this gives me a little bit of hope. I'm in a similar situation and Lowell may/may not have requested info from the original creditor - can anyone make a SAR request? or could it only be me?
        A SAR request can only be made by the data subject, not by anyone. However, debt purchasers can request documentation regarding accounts they have purchased from the original creditor, since they have a duty to provide such information upon request.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X