• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coyle White Devine Dubai / UAE debt court claim in UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyle White Devine Dubai / UAE debt court claim in UK

I have received a court claim from Coyle White Device Solicitors in the UK for a credit card debt I had when I worked in Dubai in 2007. They are the solicitors acting for the original lender who is the claimant.

In the court claim they have listed the terms and conditions of the credit card contract and one of those clauses is;

Clause 4.2.3

The Terms and Conditions are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the United Arab Emirates and the Cardholder herby submit irrevocably to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the United Arab Emerates. Such submission, shall however not prejudice the rights of [the Claimant] to bring proceedings against the Cardholder in any other Jurisdiction

They have sent me signed copies of the original agreement and statements of the account.

Had the debt been taken out in the UK then it would likely be statute barred. However in the UAE the law is 15 years limitations.

So my question, is the claim being bought in the UK valid ( jurisdiction wise) and do the laws of the UAE apply over and above those in the UK.

I understand the court procedure and CPR rules of evidence etc in the UK apply, however the Consumer Credit Act and Limitations Act do not apply.

The claim is for over £10,000 ( AER 64,000 )
    Tags: None

Re: Coyle White Devine Dubai / UAE debt court claim in UK

Hi and welcome to LB

Coyle White seem to be on a spree, there's a similar one to yours here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...bank-24-7-2014

I'm going to get in touch with someone in Dubai who knows about these things this weekend. :thumb:

Comment

Hi Sheik-A-Booty,

How did you get on with this. I am in a similar position and have no idea which way to turn. Would appreciate any tips.

Comment

Flaming Parrot, could I ask whether you managed to get any reply from your friend on this. I am now in a similar position and don't know which way to turn. Would appreciate any pointers

Comment

Please get in touch as we have formed a group of people affected to pool resources and share ideas - cwdfighters@gmail.com

Comment

Hi

I have been contacted again by CWD, claiming i owe a dubai bank and they will take me to court. Im still very confused about this, its over 6years since i left dubai, usual issue not job, no savings, so i had to leave. I didnt fancy prison, plus i had wife and young baby. Im now settled back home in UK, nice job, new hosue for last 3years, which im worried about losing. Can they take the house away? i have two pension aged family also living with me, plus my now 7year boy. im very worried.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul2469 View Post
              Hi

I have been contacted again by CWD, claiming i owe a dubai bank and they will take me to court. Im still very confused about this, its over 6years since i left dubai, usual issue not job, no savings, so i had to leave. I didnt fancy prison, plus i had wife and young baby. Im now settled back home in UK, nice job, new hosue for last 3years, which im worried about losing. Can they take the house away? i have two pension aged family also living with me, plus my now 7year boy. im very worried.

Hey Paul,

what was the outcome of your situation? Did you sort it out. Because I m having the same issue. Any advise?

Comment

Originally posted by CHc View Post
                what was the outcome of your situation? Did you sort it out. Because I m having the same issue. Any advise?
                Have you received a count claim or been served with a Statutory Demand by them?

My firm recently defeated (set aside) a Statutory Demand served by them on our client so I'm aware that they've been recently pursuing debts in the UK using this method of debt collection.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X