• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims - hearing to set aside judgement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claims - hearing to set aside judgement

Hi, I would appreciate some advise.

Recently I was awarded judgement against a defendant as they did respond to my claim within the default time period and indeed still have not replied. They employed a solicitor who has requested the case be set aside. The supporting reasons why are obviously full of inaccuracies and factual mistakes, and the defendant has obviously spotted this to. I have recently received a notification letter advising that the defendant has changed solicitors, and this is where I am now confused.

As the judgement was issued due to delays responding , that position still stands, and as the new solicitors have not been involved with the case or the response concerning why the defendant did not reply in time, I am uncertain how the hearing to have his case set aside will now proceed (it is on the 28/05/2014).

Can anyone help?
    Tags: None

Re: Small Claims - hearing to set aside judgement

I don't think it matters that the new solicitors were not involved up till now. The issues that the court will consider are if there are good reasons as to why the defendant did not respond to the claim and if so does he have reasonable grounds on which to defend it.

How much is the claim for?

Comment

The claim is for £9500. The reasons the old solicitor included in his defence were that as a solicitor they had not dealt with a claim via MCOL before, he got all the dates wrong, has even named the wrong defendant in the form set as there are 2 defendants and he has named the wrong defendant and also states no evidence from my side was submitted yet I have the email I sent to the solicitor with the check out report he claims was not sent, included on the email.

Comment

It doesn't matter what solicitor the defendant uses the court looks at the issues. If the application to set aside was a cock up then they will have to amend it before the hearing, they should really ask you permission to do this to save another application hearing.

If your claim is sound and you have provided the defendants and the court with the documentation you intend to rely on in your case and you have a good case then even if they do get the set aside based on the first solicitor being rubbish they will still have to show a decent defence to the claim. Have you responded to the set aside application at all with witness statement or anything?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have provided the previous solicitors with the emails showing defendants open promises to pay some of the money, and a check out report showing material damage that support the rest of the claim. The defence case to set aside references the (1) wrong defendant (2) wrong dates to respond (3) invaild facts about provision of evidence (emails shows old solicitors had all evidence (4) admission that they had never managed an MCOL before which is hardly my concern, so the defence is full of errors and unless new solicitors supply new reasons this position still stands. As it stands the defendant still has not provided a defence (now a month late, so regardless of other facts, he still has made no effort to defend the case.

Comment

Have you responded to the defendant and his solicitor (regardless of which one it is now) and the court on the issues in the set aside application?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes I have emailed them both.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X