• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortgage repossession claim and the CCA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage repossession claim and the CCA?

This is an interesting one:

IN 2002 I had a hard time financially. I had a house with considerable amount of equity (I still have it) and my business went bust. I was unable to pay the mortgage and I wasn't working. I asked my bank/mtg provider to give me a loan of £55,000 against the mortgage. They dallied around for many months as I watched the arrears creeping up and my debts accruing. eventually they issued a repossession notice on me. I pleaded that it was crazy asking me to leave and repossessing me when there was so much equity and eventually they agreed to give me the money.

However, they said I had to clear one 2nd charge of £13000 to another bank who had a directors guarantee on my business. They hadn't called the debt in but my bank insisted it was cleared. They also requested the clearance of a Caution which had been registered by an ex employee ( which I disputed but could do nothing about as the Land Registry are like the CRA's) I would have left it there forever. It was for approximately 22k.

My bank ADDED that to my £55k making the loan £91k despite notes on the SAR documents stating that their underwriting department did not agree with lending me more just one week before it was lent.

It all went through and I have been paying the mortgage ever since, until recently when I didn't get paid for a job I did and it cost me dearly. My mtg fell into arrears again and a repossession order was slapped on me. when I went to the hearing I was asked if I agreed with the banks figures of the arrears and I said NO, not if the details of my defense to their claim was acknowledge by the court as correct.

My claim was this:

I had mortgage arrears of £23k
    I had £13k to the 2nd charge bank ( different bank to the 1st charge bank)
    I had the Caution of £22k

I wanted another £30k to clear all my other debts.

Originally asking for the £55k I would have had £30k to clear debt and 23k for mtg arrears.

Now as they forced me to clear the other charge and caution I put it to the court that the further mortgage advance should have been treated as a loan, regulated by the CCA NOT treated as a Mortgage. I argued that it should have been treated as a separate regulated agreement for the provision of a fixed sum, restricted use debtor creditor falling under section 11(1)(c) of the CCA and the remainder should have been treated as a sparate regulated Un-restricted use debtor creditor agreement falling under section 11 (2) of the Act and by virtue of section 18 (1) of the CCA the agreement should have been a multiple agreement and not treated as a whole as they did for £90k which renders it irredeemably unenforceable and therefore they must pay me back all I have paid in!

It will not render the mortgage in total unenforceable, but this part if I'm right.

At the original hearing the Judge told the bank to go away and come back with their response and they came back with the fact they are relying upon s.16.7(2) of the CPR which effectively says I have to prove it!

so, if you have got your head around all that then what I need to know is whether under any circumstances a further advance on a mortgage can be deemed as a loan regulated by the CCA?

Personally, I see this as a loan expanded out of all proportion by the bank and well outside my affordability at that time (which is supported by their underwrites notes) now I have to prove it should be as a regulated agreement rather than a mortgage. All items barring the £30k we had in cash were under £25k limited on regulated agreements at the time.
    Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

I am an original Cabot Fan Club member and proud of it.

Re: Mortgage repossession claim and the CCA?

How much was the total mortgage loan following the remortgage ? and the equity at the time ?

the reason for remortgaging originally was to pay the arrears of 23k and free up cash of £30k for other debts.

the condition of the remortage was that you took a larger amount, effectively restricted use, for clearance of the second charge on your home of £13k and the caution of £22k.

Just making sure I have the facts clear.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The total loan was £354000. The value at the time approximately 900k. The rest of your comments are correct.
      Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

Comment

Thanks.

Is this your original thread on CAG - Additional Mortgage Loan and the CCA? Help Pls - The Consumer Forums

Just checking cause it might hold some more information not on here as yet?

Also the second charge and the caution were secured on the property before the remortgage - which you did with the same lender ? ( answered that myself now lol - yep)

Lenders reply to the judges request for them to consider your question was;

16.7(2)
        A claimant who –
        (a) files a reply to a defence; but
        (b) fails to deal with a matter raised in the defence, shall be taken to require that matter to be proved.

(Part 22 requires a reply to be verified by a statement of truth)
        Last edited by Amethyst; 12th February 2008, 13:50:PM.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

yes that's the one.

Comment

cool - reading (might take a while its a long'un)

Basically the judge has asked them to go away and consider points you put to them in your defence and at hearing...and they have replied telling the judge to learn his CPR lol.

lol just read on your other thread that the sols applied for an extension to come up with that gem ??????

(sorry going off your main question which was can a loan with a mortgage be classed under CCA rules)
            Last edited by Amethyst; 12th February 2008, 14:20:PM.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              cool - reading (might take a while its a long'un)

Basically the judge has asked them to go away and consider points you put to them in your defence and at hearing...and they have replied telling the judge to learn his CPR lol. Yes and the CCA, and the solicitor of the day (they changed ) asked for the same Judge for the 2nd hearing although that Judge said it was their least favourite Act the CCA.

lol just read on your other thread that the sols applied for an extension to come up with that gem ?????? Classic isn't it?

(sorry going off your main question which was can a loan with a mortgage be classed under CCA rules)
              that's the one!

Comment

I take it no one had an opinion? 9 days and I'm in court Monday.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X