• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Studio 24 / Express Gifts Ltd - A Scam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio 24 / Express Gifts Ltd - A Scam?

Afternoon all,
    On Wednesday this week I received a 32 inch flat screen TV through the post. The address label on the front had my correct address and full name including my middle name, which is interesting as I don't often refer to my middle name, but it does appear on my credit card.

Initially I thought it was a gift as we were expecting some items through the post from friends that we've been doing favours for. However the item had no accompanying card or notes, so we became suspicious. I contacted Express Gifts Ltd (named on the label) to ask where the gift had come from. It turned out that ringing the number put me straight through to a company called Studio 24. I rang up 5 times in 12 hours and almost each time I was told that there were "system" issues and my account couldn't be accessed. I don't know whether that was a ruse but eventually they were able to get to some information about my "account".

The mobile number associated with the account is not a number I recognise at all. Nothing to do with me or anyone I know. I immediately stated to them that this looked like some kind of fraud. To be clear, I have never even heard of this company let alone registered an account or purchased anything!

They have told me that their credit department would be in touch which may apparently take 7 days. 7 days??!

Today I received an invoice for £300 and a note telling me that I will be advised about payment options through the post shortly. WHAT???!!!

My questions are, does anyone else have experience of Studio 24 and if so, can they tell me what on earth is going on here??! Chatting to customer services I was astonished to learn that all someone needs to do to set up an account and make a purchase is to supply a name, an address and for that name to pass a credit check. Am I going mad, that is absolutely ridiculous!!!

What on earth do I need to do here? All help VERY gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Re: Studio 24 / Express Gifts Ltd - A Scam?

Originally posted by Jonnydarcy View Post
    My questions are, does anyone else have experience of Studio 24
    I've not read it yet but there's this from last year http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-AN-OK-COMPANY

Comment

Hi, yes thanks, I had a read of that thread previously. Perhaps similar. Would like advice on how to proceed however.

Cheers

Comment

Have you told them to come and collect the television?

Have you also checked with your credit card company that nothing has been taken? If they have your card in order to get your name and address then it would be wise to cancel cards just as a precaution. Also check your credit file for any searches recently or anything you do not recognise.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The invoice and note advising him of payment options would indicate it wasn't paid by credit card.

According to Express Gifts http://express-gifts.co.uk/
          Shoppers may choose to pay for their purchase within 28 days, or take advantage of a monthly credit programme
          So it sounds like there might be a CCA involved.

I would start by sending them a formal letter of complaint detailing all that's happened.

Comment

If the person who ordered it (ie the person with the phone ) has h's credit card details(ie using the middle name etc) I still think it wise to check the credit file and with the credit card company in case this was some kind of test order. Some companies deliver to a different address (eg for a gift) and it could be that's what they tried to do here but Studio sent it to the 'billing address' in error.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Here you go.
              We were sent unsolicited goods, followed by an unsolicited demand for payment.
              We got to keep goods with no payment.
              http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nirela...nt_ask_for.htm
              You can keep the goods

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 say you have a right to keep goods delivered to you that you didn’t ask for. These are known asunsolicited goods. But if goods are sent to you by mistake, you need to contact whoever sent them to let them know and ask them to collect the goods. You might get goods sent by mistake if they are meant for someone else or you’ve been sent duplicate or extra items on top of what you ordered.
              If you receive goods you have not ordered and which haven’t been sent by mistake, you can treat the goods as an unconditional gift and you can do what you want with them.
              Do you have to return unsolicited goods?

You have no obligation to return unsolicited goods to the trader or allow the trader to collect the goods. However, it would be reasonable for you to contact the trader to explain what has happened and give them a chance to collect the goods from you.
              • Write a letter to the trader about the goods you received

If you receive a demand for payment

If you receive a demand for payment for unsolicited goods or services, you can ignore it. If the trader does this, they may have committed a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. You should report the matter to your trading standards department through Citizens Advice.

Comment

This is all very helpful, thank you.

As mentioned, it doesn't look like anyone has my credit card details. I've checked all my accounts and there's nothing suspicious. The item hasn't been paid for (as far as I was informed over the phone).

Thanks des8, will take that approach.

Comment

BTW does anyone have experience of 24 Studio specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnydarcy View Post
                    BTW does anyone have experience of 24 Studio specifically?
                    Hi,

I believe Express Gifts/Studio 24 is a perfectly legit company. A colleague of mine used to work in an administrative role at their offices and warehouse in Accrington.

If there has been foul play of some sort I would expect it to have been by a third party, but never say never.

I hope you get to the bottom of things.

Comment

This is all very unsettling. No-one has rung me back and every time I ring up to find out what's going on, on giving them my customer reference number they say there are "system issues" and that I should leave contact details and someone will ring me back. It's extremely suspicious.

If I were to investigate my credit report am i right in saying that equifax is the way to go?

Comment

If they are not returning your calls, and this concerns you, I would write to them (signed for & keep a copy) advising them you are in receipt of their unsolicited goods and an invoice.
                        Refer them to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations and require confirmation they are cancelling that invoice.
                        Give them a time limit, and warn them you will report to Trading standards unless they comply.

I wouldn't bother checking my credit file YET, unless you have concerns.
                        Equifax or Experian are fine, but lots on here reckon Noddle is sufficient. www.noddle.co.uk

Comment

I am concerned too about this company. I received a letter saying my account number and that my order is not available! I do not have an account with them nor have I ordered anything. I rang an alternative number to the high cost line given on the letter, just as well as I was on for forty mins, but got nowhere. Just rang again today and asked to be put through to their fraud department twice but cut off both times. The switchboard lady said she was new and gave me an address to write into. I have also had no response to a e mail regarding this to studio. After seeing them on this website I feel that they are sending out phishing letters hoping to make money on premium phone lines so who should I complain to as the firm themselves are clearly dodgy?

Comment

On the 'premium rate number' issue

OFCOM

03 numbers – UK-wide geographic numbers

Many organisations use 03 numbers as an alternative to more expensive 08 numbers.

Calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02) and must be included in inclusive minutes and discount schemes in the same way. Calls from landlines are typically charged up to 9p per minute; calls from mobiles typically cost between 3p and 40p per minute. Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in free call packages.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

What is the number given on the letter ? ( a scan of the letter might help see if it is a scam )
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X