• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Warrant for arrest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrant for arrest

Hi all I'd be most grateful if anyone could help me! I received a letter today to say a warrant has been issued for my arrest... I'm presuming it's a TV licence fine.. I contacted the enforcement officer at 5"30 this evening and he said I should hand myself to the court tomorrow! He also said I wouldn't get arrested and put in the cells as I handed myself in. Has anyone been in this situation?? And is what he's saying true?? I'm a single mum and have no option but to take my child if I attend the court voluntarily
    Tags: None

Re: Warrant for arrest

yes i have. don't worry

As long as not a no bail warrant its ok. If possible get a financial paperwork together, they will ask you to fill one out at the court when you get there ( ingoings outgoings )
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

An arrest warrant is usually issued if you have not complied with the courts instructions.
      Either by not turning up at court, or by not paying any instalment plan that was agreed or ordered by the court.
      You will now have to attend court and give reasons why you should not be committed to prison.
      Usually an offer to pay X amount per month is sufficient to avoid prison.
      If the offer is reasonable and affordable, the court will not refuse it.
      You do need to give the court details of all your income and expenditure.
      Don't worry, prison is only given as a very last resort, for something like refusing to pay the outstanding fine.
      Otherwise most of the United Kingdom population would be inside.
      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thank you for the reply �� I'm absolutely petrified this is what the letter says.. A warrant is outstanding for your arrest!! Officers called at your home today to execute the warrant, you are urgently required to contact the Enforcement officer on the above number to avoid arrest at any time or place!!! Do you think this is a no bail warrant?? Sorry for all the questions new to all this and very scared Tia

Comment

No its fine dont worry

You probably will be asked to fill in a financial statement, ask why you have not paid before, and usually an order is made for a small amount per month.
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Payney View Post
            Thank you for the reply �� I'm absolutely petrified this is what the letter says.. A warrant is outstanding for your arrest!! Officers called at your home today to execute the warrant, you are urgently required to contact the Enforcement officer on the above number to avoid arrest at any time or place!!! Do you think this is a no bail warrant?? Sorry for all the questions new to all this and very scared Tia
            Hi Tia,
            I once got arrested for not paying my poll tax. (well I was a bit of a renegade then)
            I got taken to the court and more or less released straight away.
            But I don't think yours was a 'No bail' warrant.
            What would have happened had you been at home, was that the officers would more or less have told you to attend court, or else.
            They could also have taken you to a local police station and remand you on bail to appear in court.
            If everyone who had an arrest warrant was banged up without bail, the courts would never be able to cope.
            And prison/police cells would be at bursting point.
            As you did contact the enforcement officer, you should have nothing to worry about before the court hearing.
            “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thank you both so much I've done nothing but worry and cry all night!! Feel a bit more reassured after speaking with you both ��

Comment

I'm absolutely petrified this is what the letter says.. A warrant is outstanding for your arrest!! Officers called at your home today to execute the warrant, you are urgently required to contact the Enforcement officer on the above number to avoid arrest at any time or place!!! Do you think this is a no bail warrant?
                Who is this 'enforcement officer'? Exactly who did you speak to, and where?

Contact the court to confirm that an arrest warrant really has been issued. Debt collectors often send lookalike letters in order to scare people into paying them money.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                  Who is this 'enforcement officer'? Exactly who did you speak to, and where?

Contact the court to confirm that an arrest warrant really has been issued. Debt collectors often send lookalike letters in order to scare people into paying them money.
                  If the enforcement officer was not from the court, then let us know....

Comment

Payney,

Until a recent house move I had worked a day a week at a debt advice charity and I am sorry to say but such 'arrest warrants' are fast becoming very frequent indeed. I also have a commercial business and commonly receive identical enquiries.

The courts are becoming an awful lot tougher with unpaid court fines and it is very worrying indeed that so few people respond to a summons and complete a Means Enquiry Form. Court fines are by and large ignored by a vast majority of the public.

I was actually in court a few weeks ago and it was on a day when around 5 or 6 people had surrendered to the court for failing to pay a court fine. Two people (both young lads) were in fact taken to the cells until the court heard their cases. This did NOT happen to others who had children in tow.

The Magistrate will be trying to establish whether the failure to pay the fine had arisen from financial difficulties or whether you had 'wilfully refused to pay'. Be prepared to complete a Means Enquiry Form and if you have financial problems take EVIDENCE with you. Preparation of paperwork is very important.

If you have any queries, please post back.

PS: Do not offer to repay the debt at an amount that you cannot afford.

Comment

Hi all, I surrendered myself to court and had to take my son with me. I wasn't placed in the cells just told to wait outside the court room�� which was a great relief. The fine was for 925 pound and the judge reduced it to 75pound... I've agreed to pay back 5pound a week. Thank you so much for taking the time to advice and reassure me greatly appreciated ��

Comment

Great worry over

Comment

Excellent news Payney.

As Milo has stated, do whatever you can to make sure that no payments are missed.

It is quite common when we see people in difficulty with their TV Licence or other bills that that is just the tip of the iceberg. If there is anything else you need help with do not be embarrassed or too proud to ask. No-one here judges and will help you get back on track, no matter how trivial or in depth.
                          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Hi all, I surrendered myself to court and had to take my son with me. I wasn't placed in the cells just told to wait outside the court room�� which was a great relief. The fine was for 925 pound and the judge reduced it to 75pound... I've agreed to pay back 5pound a week. Thank you so much for taking the time to advice and reassure me greatly appreciated ��
                            I was going to mention to you that in most cases if the Magistrate is satisfied that you cannot afford to repay the debt or that the fine had been imposed without completion of a Means Statement that they will very likely REMIT a large proportion of the fine. I didn't want to raise your hopes. I am delighted with this result !!!

Well done.

Comment

Excellent result

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X