• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do we have any rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have any rights?

Hi thanks for reading.
    I will try to be brief. We believe that our father did not get his inheritance when his father died 3 years ago. There had been a big family fall out. There was no will so the estate was to be divided between the 2 brothers and a sister. This I do know to be fact. I also know that property was sold and that there was money to be shared also. My father had grumbled about this from time to time but we just let him get on with it. Now my father has died, we have tried to find out whether he got his inheritance. We have been told by his brother that he did and I am not sure if this is true. My question is if he did not get it would we have a claim to it as his children? Also what process we would need to go through. Is there something legally we can do? Thanks for any help you can give.
    Tags: None

Re: Do we have any rights?

Hi Amber,

You need to find out how your Grandfather's estate was administered and by whom. This should be a matter of public record, even if he died intestate. Ask to see the closing accounts for distribution.

Who is administering your late father's estate? There should be evidence in (for example) his bank statements as to whether he received his share.

Comment

Re: Do we have any rights?

The laws on intestacy dictate on the inheritance of any estate.
      The surviving wife/husband or civil partner inherit the estate.
      If no spouse, the surviving children, including legally adopted children, get it, or if any of the children have died, then it is their children or legally adopted children who inherit their share of the estate.
      So on and so forth.
      If no survivors of the deceased, then the crown gets it all.

You could make a request to look at the accounts, or even look into your own father's accounts to see what money has been distributed.
      If a property was sold then it is very unlikely, that there wouldn't be some record of money that went into your fathers bank account.
      It would have been for some considerable amount.
      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X