• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

someoneelse vs GoDebt.co.uk the battle commences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someoneelse vs GoDebt.co.uk the battle commences

This thread is as worrying as it is comforting.

Lots of similarities with myself in saphires case.

I got a call on Thursday from a friendly sounding chap. The call woke me up as I enjoyed a mid afternoon siesta (my sleeping patterns often mean I only manage 3 or 4 hours per night so often snatch an hour in the afternoon)...

Anyway, this guy must have been a good actor because he got me.

He used lots of words, terms and phrases I had no understanding of and specifically told me that an application to make me bankrupt had been made and I was lucky he'd managed to get in touch.

What muddied the waters was I have an outstanding debt with another debt recovery company which is for £400 and is/was being addressed. I thought it was the same debt. It wasn't.

My background is that between about 03 and 06 myself and my partner had some bad luck and made some bad decisions money wise. She was made redundant 3 times in 2 years. I made the decision to stay at home and look after our son (now 5 years). We then had another son. Money was tight. As a result we sold our house (which we hated living in anyway!) but we had very little equity because we'd remortgaged/taken a secured loan to try and get ourselves sorted.

About 14 months ago we sold the house, reducing our outgoings significantly in the process and every since our main priority has been to gradually pay off everything we owe. 5 or 6 credit cards with low limits (the highest is only £750) between us were all well over limit but are now safely under. We've made an effort.

So when this person rang me threatening bankruptcy it was a shock. A huge one.

I've gone off track a bit so I'll pick up where I left off.

He said he was acting on behalf of the CIT group for a laptop I'd bought 3 years ago. Aside from the fact the laptop died 2 weeks after the 2 year warranty ran out (annoying in itself!) I'd long forgotten about it. I think what I must have done in tight month is cancelled the DD and failed to set it back up again. Entirely my own fault and I acknowledge there is a debt which I owe. This is the first I've heard of it in over a year though. The guy on the phone claimed they had written to my old address but this was the first attempt made to get in touch by telephone. He also had my new address which begs the question why not try writing there when there was no response from the old place?

My over riding thoughts were that I was in a bad situation and I should be as proactive and willing to work through it as possible. The total debt is £1339.36. He said I needed to pay this NOW! Obviously not too many people who owe money to debt collectors have that kind of cash at hand. What's frustrating is it wouldn't have been impossible just before Christmas as we inherited a 4 figure sum and the other half had a particularly good months pay with bonuses etc. I'd have just paid it there and then. Obviously though I couldn't do that. His solution was that if I agreed to pay £1000 before the end of Feb that would settle the debt. It's almost an impossibility for me to pay it without going a month behind on rent and possibly restructuring a couple of my barclays loan payments (if they're willing). I had to agree to it though and have already set the wheels in motion to try and raise an extra £300-400 by 28th Feb. eBay is useful sometimes.

I got the letter stating I'd agreed to pay £1000 from them in yesterdays post (sat 9th Feb). I was surprised it wasn't harshly worded or full of legal terms etc. It looks formal enough but not as I'd expected. It set alarm bells ringing. Then I search on google and found this thread.

I'm not disputing the debt nor am I not willing to pay it. I just need more time and more relaxed terms. I'd be willing to take these people on but could do with some advice.

1. Having made the agreement, if I break it what would their next step likely be?

2. I've read the thread a couple of times now and I'm unsure whether this threat for them to make me bankrupt can actually be followed through by them? That's what the guy on the phone said. He seemed to appear as if he was doing me a favour by giving me 2 weeks! I'm angry now. So the question is, if I suddenly u-turn on the agreement what is the harshest course of action they could take, and how likely will they be to take it?

3. If the answer to the above is that yes, they can make me bankrupt what would the implications on my partner be. Obviously she brings in all the cash but all the bills still leave my own personal account. I transfer most of her monthly salary directly to my account on the day it's paid so DD's etc can be satisfied. Again, the guy on the phone seemed to suggest that considering I have no assets and no income at all (I don't claim anything from the government...not even tax credits) then it would impact onto my other half. We're not married btw. Been living together for 7 or 8 years. He was quite vague when he said her finances would be looked at though. It didn't seem to ring true.

4. What should I do!? In laymans terms if you can please because clearly I've been done up like a kipper already!

Re: GoDebt.co.uk - A Horror Story !!!!!!!!!

Hi Someoneelse. First of all welcome to Legal Beagles. I'm sorry I can't help with your problem , but someone should be along later or in the morning to advise you
    of the best course of action.:okay:

Comment

Re: GoDebt.co.uk - A Horror Story !!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I didn't expect a reply from anyone so quickly. Just hoping I can do something to ease the stress I'm under with this debt. Got no problem paying it, just need to do it over a longer period.

Comment

Re: someoneelse-the battle commences

I have moved the three posts at the end of Sapphires thread so that your story has its own place. The title is not great so apologies for that, and if you want it changed either Private Message me or on of the Team members(they are the ones in Purple) and we can change it.

Comment

Originally posted by someoneelse View Post
          He used lots of words, terms and phrases I had no understanding of
          I seriously doubt he had any understanding of them either.

He said he was acting on behalf of the CIT group for a laptop I'd bought 3 years ago.
          Then you need to request the paperwork that shows they now own the debt.

The guy on the phone claimed they had written to my old address but this was the first attempt made to get in touch by telephone. He also had my new address which begs the question why not try writing there when there was no response from the old place?
          You should have asked him and listened while he dug a deeper hole for himself.

The total debt is £1339.36. He said I needed to pay this NOW! His solution was that if I agreed to pay £1000 before the end of Feb that would settle the debt.
          Wow, that is extremely generous of him. So he can just take a drop of nearly £340 just like that? How amazing.

It's almost an impossibility for me to pay it without going a month behind on rent and possibly restructuring a couple of my barclays loan payments (if they're willing).
          Don't get behind on your rent. Your rent is a priority not the payment of a debt for a laptop.

I got the letter stating I'd agreed to pay £1000 from them in yesterdays post (sat 9th Feb). I was surprised it wasn't harshly worded or full of legal terms etc.
          They think they have their money, that is why.

1. Having made the agreement, if I break it what would their next step likely be?

2. I've read the thread a couple of times now and I'm unsure whether this threat for them to make me bankrupt can actually be followed through by them? That's what the guy on the phone said. He seemed to appear as if he was doing me a favour by giving me 2 weeks! I'm angry now. So the question is, if I suddenly u-turn on the agreement what is the harshest course of action they could take, and how likely will they be to take it?

3. If the answer to the above is that yes, they can make me bankrupt what would the implications on my partner be. Obviously she brings in all the cash but all the bills still leave my own personal account. I transfer most of her monthly salary directly to my account on the day it's paid so DD's etc can be satisfied. Again, the guy on the phone seemed to suggest that considering I have no assets and no income at all (I don't claim anything from the government...not even tax credits) then it would impact onto my other half. We're not married btw. Been living together for 7 or 8 years. He was quite vague when he said her finances would be looked at though. It didn't seem to ring true.

4. What should I do!? In laymans terms if you can please because clearly I've been done up like a kipper already!
          Get the paperwork from them first. Send them the CCA 1974 letter and see what they come back with, if anything.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

I'm more than willing to challenge them on this but not if they can realistically/possibly follow through their threat of bankruptcy.

Is it possible? Is it likely?

Comment

Hiya someone else I too am having a battle with them and they have done all the same threats, phone calls etc. I have done some reading up on them and its looks like its their standard script to be honest. We do have some people on the site who are real experts with GoDebt and they don't seem to be so worried about them.
              If you get a chance have a read on my thread and you'll see that you are not alone, if you need support etc I'll keep popping my head in to see how you are.

Comment

By the way send them the Telephone Harassment Letter http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?t=81 that should fend of the calls for you, although the little liars didn't remove our number as you will probably read on my last post on my thread

Comment

Originally posted by someoneelse View Post
                  Thanks for your help.

I'm more than willing to challenge them on this but not if they can realistically/possibly follow through their threat of bankruptcy.

Is it possible? Is it likely?
                  You are perfectly entitled to see the paperwork that they say they have. Requesting it does not mean you are refusing to pay.

Comment

Thanks. Will knock a letter up this evening.

Regarding the comments on the other thread about bankruptcy only being a possibility if the debt is more than £750. In theory if I get the debt below £750 am I safe from the possibility of bankruptcy?

Comment

I have a letter you can use, I'll send it to you.

I seriously doubt it would get even close to bankruptcy, but let's see what they come up with first.

Comment

Re: someoneelse vs GoDebt.co.uk the battle commences

Hiya, just wanted to say don't worry too much, I can see you are following my thread and i'm slightly ahead of you in their bullying stakes so you can see what the next move is.
                        You really are amongst friends here, we will all do as much as possible to help you through this, GoDebt are quickly becoming a passion of mine so we will see where we will go from here.

Reading though you really dont want to have to part with a large lump sum straight away do you, so I suggest that you make up an Income and Expenditure sheet and then send letter #2 from here Legal Beagles its a full list of template letters that you can use and adjust to suit your needs for most situations. Attach a copy of the income and expenditure to the letter so they can see where your money goes to, don't forget to put your offer to pay on the letter ie £25 month in my case. Don't worry about your previous offer to pay, they can't hang you for it.
                        Do also remember to include a copy of the telephone harrassment letter as well. If they do continue to call after that then you can alway copy the letter that Cetelco has so kindly posted on my thread and send it to them.

Next is the best bit, its once the letters are done have a cuppa and chill for a while, and post up the next episode when you receive a reply and we can see where to go from there.
                        Last edited by Sapphire; 12th February 2008, 02:33:AM.

Comment

Good luck Someoneelse
                          I'm sure you won't need it though.... this company seems to think it is above the law!
                          Sapphys certainly showing them they are not.... so don't let them bully you either....don't be afraid to lay it on the line for them and make them play ball nicely with you.. and remember... you are not alone, you have found all the help and support you will ever need here at legal beagles

Comment

Just popping in to see how its going with the battle ?

Comment

The date on which I agree to pay the full balance has been and gone over a week ago. I sent the letter off as suggested. I've heard nothing since other than getting a letter from them asking me to call them.

I'm really not prepared to get into a telephone conversation with them at the moment though.

Is it possible my letter has scared them off?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X