• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

disputed ownership of car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disputed ownership of car

A friend has had her car impounded by police as ex-partner has claimed it in view of contribution made by him.
    In fact, my friend made the purchase transaction with the garage - part-exchanging her car for the new one and making an additional payment
    The ex-partner also paid a sum towards the purchase of the car.
    He was not insured on it and never drove it.
    My friend is the registered owner on V5
    The police say that ownership is disputed and V5 not proof of ownership.
    How can she force the police to give her the car back??

Thanks for any help - my friend is distraught
    Tags: None

Re: disputed ownership of car

Hi,
    Name on V5 is the registered keeper.
    It seems this will only be settled by a court of law, unless your friend and her ex can come to some agreement.
    Maybe she could offer him money for his share of the car.
    Police will not release the car until proof of ownership is established.
    Your fiend needs to provide proof of any transactions with the garage she purchased the car from.
    If the ex contributed to the cost of the car and has a receipt for any money that he paid.
    Then I would say it is joint ownership.
    So really, the sensible thing to do, is for your friend and the ex, to come to some arrangement.
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Why are the police involved? This must be a civil matter surely.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        Why are the police involved? This must be a civil matter surely.
        Not if he has stated to the police that, as joint owner he has not given permission for the car to be driven by his ex.
        It then becomes a police matter.
        They have to establish if the car is being driven without permission, and to do that, they have to establish ownership.
        In this case, there is a dispute about ownership, hence the police have impounded the car, until ownership is established.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

As police are involved this question may seem a bit superfluous but It seems to me this is a civil matter, so why have the police allowed themselves to become involved?
          Has he alleged theft?
          If they can't come to an agreement it will end up in court.

On the car ins proposal there was a question regarding ownership. How was that completed?

Crossed with above posts.
          If joint ownership why would she need permission? She would as "Joint owner" have every right to drive it.
          Last edited by des8; 31st July 2014, 07:42:AM. Reason: crossed posts give rise to further speculation

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            As police are involved this question may seem a bit superfluous but It seems to me this is a civil matter, so why have the police allowed themselves to become involved?
            Has he alleged theft?
            If they can't come to an agreement it will end up in court.

On the car ins proposal there was a question regarding ownership. How was that completed?

Crossed with above posts.
            If joint ownership why would she need permission? She would as "Joint owner" have every right to drive it.
            Not if there was an agreement in place, or there is something else that OP has not told us.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy007 View Post
              Not if there was an agreement in place, or there is something else that OP has not told us.
              My friend was arrested by the police on intent to defraud,
              there were other accusations of loans taken out by her in his name. This has now been struck out by the police as 'no case to answer'. SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOW BEEN CHARGED WITH THE OFFENCE.
              The car was impounded by the police as part of the whole investigation, along with phone, diary bank statements.
              It was all totally unfair - she was given no chance to defend herself before she was arrested.

The car was purchased by my friend for her use, with a contribution from her ex. He was not insured to drive the car, paid no petrol, had no belongings in the car, etc,etc. Merely had an expectation of being ferried about from time to time.

She has been asked to complete a form, by the police, in order to get her car back - is there any advice on how to complete that?

My friend would like to complain about the way she was treated by the police - who should she direct that to?

Comment

Can you supply a copy of this form she is required to complete? Difficult to advise without knowing the questions. although it is possibly just a receipt.

Regarding complaining about the police: http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints

Comment

Hi
                  She's coming to see me in a little while, I can scan it in then,
                  Thanks

Are there any free agencies that can help with a claim to the IPCC Thanks,

Comment

The arrest?
                    Was the charge, 'Intent To Defraud'
                    Or was it, 'On suspicion of intent to defraud'?

Comment

on suspicion, or of suspicion to obtain money by deception, she'll be here soon, I will clarify that Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by lawg33k View Post
                        My friend was arrested by the police on intent to defraud, there were other accusations of loans taken out by her in his name. This has now been struck out by the police as 'no case to answer'. SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOW BEEN CHARGED WITH THE OFFENCE. The car was impounded by the police as part of the whole investigation, along with phone, diary bank statements. It was all totally unfair - she was given no chance to defend herself before she was arrested.
                        Whilst the intial seizure of the vehicle may have been justified, it seems that the police now have no reason to retain it. Nor should they still be retaining the phone and personal documentation either.

A very stiff letter from a solicitor may be in order.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                          Whilst the intial seizure of the vehicle may have been justified, it seems that the police now have no reason to retain it. Nor should they still be retaining the phone and personal documentation either.

A very stiff letter from a solicitor may be in order.
                          I agree, but the problem with this, is the time it takes the police to sort things out.
                          Especially if the matter is complicated.
                          aw:

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy007 View Post
                            I agree, but the problem with this, is the time it takes the police to sort things out.
                            Especially if the matter is complicated.
                            aw:
                            Unfortunately, this is what my friend has had to do. She has now instructed a solicitor to deal with this on her behalf. Poor thing is having to spend money she hasn't got to resolve this matter. I must say that it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for all of your help.

Comment

Originally posted by lawg33k View Post
                              Unfortunately, this is what my friend has had to do. She has now instructed a solicitor to deal with this on her behalf. Poor thing is having to spend money she hasn't got to resolve this matter. I must say that it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for all of your help.
                              You are most welcome...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X