• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Liabilty Order issued yesteray

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Council Tax Liabilty Order issued yesteray

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
    As there are only two people present it is Not an HMO the definition is "Three or more persons forming two or more households."
    The are special rules if the landlord is resident.
    You're making the common mistake of using the HMO licensing definition - Council Tax has it's own HMO definition. Two different bits of legislation which have their own definition of the same word (I always say to people to think of tax - tax to the council means something different to tax for HMRC).

The licensing definition of a HMO is given in the Housing Act (as you've mentioned) but the Council Tax one is contained in Council Tax legislation.

The Council Tax definition was defined in the 1992 regulations and the altered up to and including the Council Tax (Liability for Owners and Additional Provisions for Discount Disregards) (Amendment) Regulations 1995. The Council Tax regulations stated a Council Tax HMO as:

“Houses in multiple occupation, etc
    Class C a dwelling which

(a)was originally constructed or subsequently adapted for occupation by persons who do not constitute a single household;
    or
    (b)is inhabited by a person who, or by two or more persons each of whom either—
    (i)is a tenant of, or has a licence to occupy, part only of the dwelling; or
    (ii)has a licence to occupy, but is not liable (whether alone or jointly with other persons) to pay rent or a licence fee in respect of, the dwelling as a whole.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Constant Worry View Post

The owner of the property will have to pay the Council Tax if:
      • No one is living there
      • It is a residential care or nursing home
      • It is occupied by a religious community or minister of religion
      • It is only occupied by domestic service staff
      • It is only occupied by asylum seekers
      • It is a House in Multiple Occupation, that is, it contains a number (do not say how many) of people who:
        • Do not form a single household
        • Pay rent for different parts of the property (i.e. bedsits or bedrooms)
        • Share common facilities (bathroom, kitchen etc.)

• Sole or Joint Tenants of the property do not have access to the whole property - for example, the owner keeps one room locked for their own belongings or keeps the garage locked to store items. (Does this help some tenants/landlords?)
      Where does this come from? I can't find any reference to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamna View Post
        Normally on the council websites - http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/...uncil_tax.aspx
        https://www.canterbury.gov.uk/counci...-pay-the-bill/

etc.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

It's a council paraphrasing the Council Tax HMO regulations - the last point however in bold regarding landlord keeping a locked room in the property does not always make it a Council Tax HMO (there have been tribunal cases on that same point).

Craig

Comment

Thanks, yes it was the last phrase that I was curious about - I've not come across it before. What is the position if you let part of a property, and keep the rest in unoccupied stasis as the owner? For example if someone was abroad and used it to keep their personal belongings. The instance I'm thinking of, 2/3 are available, 1/3 not.

Comment

Thanks, yes it was the last phrase that I was curious about - I've not come across it before. What is the position if you let part of a property, and keep the rest in unoccupied stasis as the owner? For example if someone was abroad and used it to keep their personal belongings. The instance I'm thinking of, 2/3 are available, 1/3 not.
              If you only specifically let part of a property then it would be a Council Tax HMO as they've not rented the whole property - if the the agreement was for the whole property and you left stuff in a locked room then (for example) it's a different situation.

Goremsandu v Harrow London BC [2010] RA 469 raised several issues but a key point was about occupancy and the landlord storing things in the conservatory. It was ruled not to be an issue as the tenants legally remained tenants of the whole property (the landlord had in this case lowered the rent to allow for the storage).

Craig

Comment

Thank you. I suppose my thinking is that the (one) liable resident is rather unfairly taxed for a property larger than they have for their use. The rent may be adjusted, but the tax won't be. They would need to understand this and ask for a further rent reduction, perhaps.

Comment

Thank you. I suppose my thinking is that the (one) liable resident is rather unfairly taxed for a property larger than they have for their use. The rent may be adjusted, but the tax won't be. They would need to understand this and ask for a further rent reduction, perhaps.
                  Effectively yes - they'd be liable for council tax on a whole property however there is the fact that they've got less usable space if part is being used as storage by the landlord. A reduction in the rent would likely be the suitable response from the landlord.

Craig

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X