• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

letter from Lowell advise needed - WITHDRAWN !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letter from Lowell advise needed - WITHDRAWN !!!

Hi guys,

require some advise on a letter i received today from Lowell its regards a debt from Capital 1 for £742.70 they say if i pay they will reduce the debt by 75%. i don't recollect debt with Capital one so i have no idea of dates taken out etc etc.

Could anybody advice on what i should do next it,s not a letter threatening me with court but it say they will send debt collectors round. Could any one advice me on what i should do next.
    Tags: None

Re: letter from Lowell advise needed

Do you have £185 ? (if that's what they are offering)

If you don't recall it it could possibly be it is stat barred and that's why they are coming in with such a low offer.

You could have a check on your credit file see if it shows up on there.... Noddle is free and instant.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by mark andrew View Post
      Hi guys,

require some advise on a letter i received today from Lowell its regards a debt from Capital 1 for £742.70 they say if i pay they will reduce the debt by 75%.
      Are you positive they are not saying you can settle the debt for 75% (i.e. a 25% discount) rather than the other way round? I've yet to see a letter offering a 75% discount but offers to settle at 75% are not uncommon. :confused2:

i don't recollect debt with Capital one so i have no idea of dates taken out etc etc.
      If you are not sure what this debt is, I'd be sending them a prove it letter before making any offers of repayment. Do bear in mind if this was close to SBd, any offer would acknowledge the debt and reset the clock :scared: which is one reason DCAs often send those discount letters, to tempt people into acknowledging old debts. :evil: :mad2: :mad2:

Could anybody advice on what i should do next it,s not a letter threatening me with court but it say they will send debt collectors round. Could any one advice me on what i should do next.
      The vast majority of those threats are just that, empty threats, since it's a lot cheaper to send a letter than an actual field agent. In the unlikely event they did send someone round, you don't have to speak to them, open the door to them or let them in. They have as much right to be there as your neighbour's cat! :beagle:

Comment

Hi Amethyst,
        thank you for your quick response no i don't have the money and i have checked my credit reports and there is nothing on there. Is there anything i could do find out if this debt is mine and if so what do i need to do?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
          Are you positive they are not saying you can settle the debt for 75% (i.e. a 25% discount) rather than the other way round? I've yet to see a letter offering a 75% discount but offers to settle at 75% are not uncommon. :confused2:

If you are not sure what this debt is, I'd be sending them a prove it letter before making any offers of repayment. Do bear in mind if this was close to SBd, any offer would acknowledge the debt and reset the clock :scared: which is one reason DCAs often send those discount letters, to tempt people into acknowledging old debts. :evil: :mad2: :mad2:

The vast majority of those threats are just that, empty threats, since it's a lot cheaper to send a letter than an actual field agent. In the unlikely event they did send someone round, you don't have to speak to them, open the door to them or let them in. They have as much right to be there as your neighbour's cat! :beagle:
          Hi flaming parrot,
          Thank you for your advice the letter clearly state reduce your debt by 75% which means they say i owe see my original post it gives amont then how much they will except.

i have not acknowledge debt so what would your advice be on this?

Comment

Hi flaming parrot,
            Thank you for your advice the letter clearly state reduce your debt by 75% which means they say i owe see my original post it gives amont then how much they will except.
            That's most unusual, and you have to wonder, why would they be happy with such a small bite off the cherry when they could ask for the whole one? Look at how many claims these clowns are issuing! They are probably aware that this debt is SBd or something is seriously wrong... :noidea:

i have not acknowledge debt so what would your advice be on this?
            I'd send Lowell a prove it letter and see what they come up with. :thumb:

Comment

Hi Amethyst,
              thank you for your quick response no i don't have the money and i have checked my credit reports and there is nothing on there. Is there anything i could do find out if this debt is mine and if so what do i need to do?
              That's because the debt was either not yours or it's already statute barred, if you had the card, you would have defaulted on it over 6 years ago, defaults drop off after 6 years. Sometimes debts that don't show up on credit files are not SBd because payments have been made, however, if that wasn't the case, then it would be SBd.

As above, I'd send a prove it letter. :typing: Send it recorded so you can have proof of having sent it. :ranger:

Comment

Hi flaming partot,
                Thanks for your response if i send the m s prove it letter wouldnt that be admitting the debt mine? . Also could you give me an idea what i would need to put into letter many thaks.

Comment

Hi flaming partot,
                  Thanks for your response if i send the m s prove it letter wouldnt that be admitting the debt mine?
                  No, asking someone to prove you owe them money is not an admission.

Also could you give me an idea what i would need to put into letter many thaks.
                  See this post for an updated prove it letter: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...171#post440171 :nerd:

Note how the letter does not admit anything at all, all the opposite.

Comment

Hi flamming parrot,
                    I will get that letter off 2moz that is defo a put up or shut up letter will let you know if i hear anything back

Comment

HI FP,

i received reply to my letter i sent saying we are looking into it, i was naught i gave the CEO a few e-mails asking them to get there finger out seem to do the trick.

If any others have problems with Lowell group give this guy a e-mail James Cornell e-mail james.cornell@lowellgroup.co.uk he is the CEO for them

Comment

HI FP,

i received reply to my letter i sent saying we are looking into it, i was naught i gave the CEO a few e-mails asking them to get there finger out seem to do the trick.

If any others have problems with Lowell group give this guy a e-mail James Cornell e-mail james.cornell@lowellgroup.co.uk he is the CEO for them
                        Well done! :high5:

...and thanks for the tip! :thumb:

Comment

Hi FP,

Got a reply back from lowell the are not going to go after debt based on commercial decision debt was seven years old so sb any ways :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Nice work Mark, and FP xxxxx
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: letter from Lowell advise needed - WITHDRAWN !!!

Lowells must be scraping the barrel and buying very old Capital One debts at the moment. I just got a letter today demanding payment for a debt I apparently had with Capital One several years ago. I'm afraid I just filed the letter in the bin! I did have a Capital One credit card years ago but with claiming back charges the debt I believe was cleared off. It does not appear on my credit file and I will be damned if I acknowledge anything after so many years because if there is a tiny balance outstanding they can sing for it! I am not going to reset the clock back after all these years.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X