• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

i owe hmrc for late tax return fines, help plz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i owe hmrc for late tax return fines, help plz

Originally posted by flicky14 View Post
    the letters from them,?? I didn't keep a copy of letters I sent to them stupid I know .... how do I show u the letters?
    This may be of help: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...tails-safe!%29 :nerd:

Comment

I have read the posts about uploading documents and makes no sense to me sorry, think im gonna ring tax aid tomorrow and go from there, is that ok,???

Comment

Try taxaid try anyone get all the help you can .

If this was a Partnership is your EX liable for any of this Fine?

Comment

I don't have anything to do with him, and apparently its down to me as I was the named person on the partnership . I don't disagree that I owe it I,m happy to pay it just want to come to an agreement I can afford and not b barrelled into paying something I cant afford

Comment

where will I find my unique tax payer reference I,m managed to do something on the site to do my online return at least if I can do that it shows I,m not ignoring them completely and trying to do something

Comment

You would both have been named or am I wrong ?

Comment

I have read the posts about uploading documents and makes no sense to me sorry, think im gonna ring tax aid tomorrow and go from there, is that ok,???
                To be honest, in this case it's not crucial for you to upload the letters you've received, because we are dealing with the government rather than a creditor or a firm of solicitors, we can't pick their arguments apart.

Yes, do contact taxaid, hone: but also ask HMRC for a breakdown - a statement of how the figure was arrived at. They can and do make mistakes.

Taxaid can't provide you with that information, nor can they help you with disputes regarding the amount quoted by HMRC. You don't need to be able to log in to do that, you can just write to them. :typing:

Draft a realistic income and expenditure statement, this is essential to show how much (if anything) you can afford to pay every month.

HMRC are well known for bankrupting people to recover monies owed to them but, like any other creditor, they'll think twice before going down that route if it doesn't look like they'll get their money back. BR is expensive to petition and if you don't have many assets and are on a low income, they would be wasting their time and money. You say above you claim housing benefit, that would indicate you are not a homeowner, but they may not be aware of your situation. Once they see your financial statement, they'll realise it's not worth the trouble. :thumb:

Comment

where will I find my unique tax payer reference I,m managed to do something on the site to do my online return at least if I can do that it shows I,m not ignoring them completely and trying to do something
                  See this: https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/informati...pid=companyUTR

The Company Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) will have been issued by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). It is made up of ten numbers, for example 1234567890, and can be found on the 'Notice to deliver a company Tax Return' (form CT603). It may also be found on other documents HMRC have issued.

Comment

ok thank you ill go through my letters to see if I can find it. no I,m not a home owner and don't really have any assets I get housing benefit and earn about 5600 a year from my part time job.

Comment

Don't know if you have read all this that is on the HMRC site http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payinghmrc/problems/cantpay.htm maybe give you an avenue you haven't taken so far. I do suggest you get in touch asap as they will take legal action

Comment

hi yeah I have read all that, just worried their gonna ask me to pay a stupid amount back each month that I cant afford. do u know if tax aid deal will hmrc on ur behalf or just give u advice ?

Comment

just wanted to say thank you to u all for ur help so far. really appreciate it.

Comment

The trick with the taxman is to enter discussions with them. If it goes to Court they will automatically win if they produce a Certificate of tax owing - whether you owe it or not and it can be difficult to overturn. If they gain this they do have their own Offciers who can distrain on your effects and they have more powers than an ordinary Bailiff.

If your ex has not submitted his own return then he too will be in the same boat but you cannot be made to settle his debt.

To overturn the automatic fines you will need a good excuse but remember all the time this is going on they will keep adding interest & more fines when they are due. Have you dissolved your partnership?

Comment

what do u mean overturn the fines ??

Comment

and what do u mean dissolved the partnership?? when I originally wrote to hmrc I told them we had split and we no longer had the business they said in one of there letters they will no longer as for future tax returns they just want the ones for previous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X