• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barrs to accessing Legal Services / instructing Solicitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrs to accessing Legal Services / instructing Solicitors

What are the primary barrs to the general public accessing formal legal services and / or instructing solicitors to act in legal situations ?

For me it is uncertainty of cost and a perception of a lack of control.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Barrs to accessing Legal Services / instructing Solicitors

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    For me it is uncertainty of cost and a perception of a lack of control.
    Me too and oddly enough I would apply the same criteria to finding a plumber or builder which I would look for by way of recommendation from a friend or some other trusted source.

Comment

wish I not looked at a Rated Tradesman site, and asked around? they seem to advertise themselves without it seems an organisation behind them, so you end up pot luck

Comment

Indeed, you can't beat recommendation from someone who has previously used the firm. I still find uncertainty of the costs involved puts me off though. I always think of solicitors as expensive and charging for every little thing (like speaking to them on the phone or asking them to take a look at a letter) or even for an initial view on whether its worth engaging them, and when you have a very tight budget and can't find out for sure how much something is going to cost you, without paying them to look at a case to see how much it will cost, just sticks a whopping great barrier up in the way.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Indeed, you can't beat recommendation from someone who has previously used the firm. I still find uncertainty of the costs involved puts me off though. I always think of solicitors as expensive and charging for every little thing (like speaking to them on the phone or asking them to take a look at a letter) or even for an initial view on whether its worth engaging them, and when you have a very tight budget and can't find out for sure how much something is going to cost you, without paying them to look at a case to see how much it will cost, just sticks a whopping great barrier up in the way.

Agreed my thoughts on them as well!!

Comment

I still find uncertainty of the costs involved puts me off though.
            That's the nature of the beast though. If you want a solicitor for litigation neither you or the solicitor have any real idea as where and how it's going to go. It's the same with asking a plumber to look inside your rattling boiler - he won't know what the cost will be until he's half way through the job.

One answer might be a menu of fixed legal costs which covers most of the possible scenarios.

Comment

We use solicitors quite a lot (needs must etc..:evil::car and it's staggering the difference in both quality of service and costs between different outfits. Some are wonderful and cost effective (I would assume to include present company:tinysmile_twink_t2

I think, though, that it boils down to the integrity of the individual acting for you and agree with all of the above.

As to what would put you off - all too often there's an unsatisfactory result and a huge bill which it's incredibly hard to contest, SRA & LOS notwithstanding. It's hard to avoid the fact that solicitors are free to create work for themselves and charge the client even when they've artificially cranked up a dispute. Not only that, but the clock ticks away regardless of their efficiency - even during time you might be arguing as to their chosen course of action (ie who's instructing whom).

It would be nice if you could engage a solicitor, hand over the relevant paperwork, then sit back in the confidence that your corner was protected - but it's rarely thus. You have to push behind, do all the legwork and still pay through the nose, whether you are happy or not....

I think the biggest disincentive is that, although you instruct them they can still go their merry way and disregard your instructions, not fully digest the background material and get things wrong - to your cost but not theirs, their bill is due regardless. Also some do perform very badly in court - and of course, if you're represented, you are not allowed to intervene.

The complaints procedure is effectively a joke, unless you are so clued up you don't need a solicitor in the first place.

Worst case scenarios, of course, but not uncommon and deeply offputting.

However, there do seem to be moves afoot to offer packaged fees that are agreed in advance (at a preliminary assessment for which no charge is made per se) and that is a much more attractive prospect IMVHO.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                We use solicitors quite a lot
                Out of interest how do you source them initially?

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                  Me too and oddly enough I would apply the same criteria to finding a plumber or builder which I would look for by way of recommendation from a friend or some other trusted source.
                  I concur with the above, the main barrier is not knowing whether they are going to help you or just rip you off, and what to look for and where. :noidea: :confused2:

Sadly the legal profession in general has acquired a bit of a negative reputation over the years, although probably nowhere nearly as bad in this country as in the U$.

Comment

I had a call form Coop legal services who got my details through a funeral director. She wanted to know about the situation re probate and I said I was attempting to do it myself as the will was straightforward.She kept going on about it being a legal process and had to be done just right, I asked her for an idea of her charges, she would not state a single figure she wouldn't even say if it was hundreds or thousands of pounds involved. It all depended on the size of the estate is all she would commit to and that just made me think the more there is the more it will cost so bog off Mrs lol.

Comment

Out of interest how do you source them initially?
                      Long term family solicitors who then recommend others if it's not their field. Unfortunately, the best one now retired and the youngsters don't seem to have the same commitment.

A lot of our "social circle" are in the legal profession and I do find some of their discussions rather chilling....they also seem to have very different ideas from the punter as to what constitutes a "good" solicitor - based maybe on who they'd rather not be up against.

The most notable "baddies" were thrust upon us, though - as in executor named in will (wish I'd known this site then lol), trustee named as LPA by now non compos mentis relative, serial bad choice of divorce lawyers by family - and so forth..

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                        I had a call form Coop legal services who got my details through a funeral director. She wanted to know about the situation re probate and I said I was attempting to do it myself as the will was straightforward.She kept going on about it being a legal process and had to be done just right, I asked her for an idea of her charges, she would not state a single figure she wouldn't even say if it was hundreds or thousands of pounds involved. It all depended on the size of the estate is all she would commit to and that just made me think the more there is the more it will cost so bog off Mrs lol.
                        Was this a cold call then?

Comment

Was this a cold call then?
                          Well I didn't know they were affiliated with the Coop until I read it somewhere, so I suppose they contact all customers who arrange funerals. Make out it's a courtesy call, ask can they help in anyway especially if they make a few bob lol.

Comment

Cost has to be the main barrier, lets face facts the majority of mere mortals require their services due to lack of funds and the legal teams only show a real interest if they can see a good and easy earner. Being a plumber myself I can see both sides of the costing's, I would love to give my clients a fixed price that is good for everybody including a profit for myself but generally people don't understand the requirements of the task before starting and then change as the task gets going. Training for any professional has to be a consideration too, in the gas industry you have to have a certain amount of qualifications that have to be kept up to date to be able to work and the training centres have this opinion that they can charge what they like and the gas engineer just has to pass it on to the customer because it is the customer who wants you to qualified. This keeps the cost up for everybody, the engineer and the customer. The main gripe I have with the legal and financial industry though is they charge for their skills and knowledge but seem to have no responsibility if they get it wrong. I had a tax investigation once and even though I had paid professionals to complete my returns you find they have no liability for getting it wrong, makes you wonder what you paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                              Enaid - when my father died I was executor for his (slightly complicated) will and I felt I needed a solicitor to hold my hand. Above mentioned family solicitor told me exactly what to do and didn't charge me anything, even when the complications reared. His view was that, if I could do the work it was pointless paying £100s per hour for someone less au fait with the overall situation to get up to speed and do the same thing.

When complications did get to the litigation stage we were anyway tied into using another solicitor (connected with my late father's business) and the costs went to 5 figures, which we were of course obliged to pay

Slightly off topic, I know, but I think just a tiny experience of how it all works makes one see that they are not, in fact, magicians - and I wholeheartedly agree with Meelis's comment that

The main gripe I have with the legal and financial industry though is they charge for their skills and knowledge but seem to have no responsibility if they get it wrong.
                              such insights have become widespread.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X