• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Would be gratefull for urgent advice regarding a bill from estate agents after sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would be gratefull for urgent advice regarding a bill from estate agents after sale

Hi all,

I am not sure what area of the forum I should post this so if its wrong please let me know.

I have an issue with the estate agents that sold my house and they are threatening legal action.

I recently sold a house by tender which I agreed to pay 50% fees and the buyer 50% although they were told it was an introduction fee.

I used the conveyancer they appointed (big mistake!)

Towards the end of the conveyancing process I received a statement from the legal team listing out what would be paid from the funds and what would be left for me. I noticed that they had entered the full amount of fees not the 50% agreed with the agent. I emailed the legal team back advising them that I thought Ihad signed to pay 50% and could they advise. They never replied which wasnt unusual as quite often they ignored my mails.

To cut a long story short, they did eventually resend the statement and they had removed the agents fees completely. As it was near to exchange, I figured that they had probably sorted it out and just made another mistake.

When I spoke to the conveyancer she mentioned in conversation that she had sorted it out with the agents and so I left it at that.

It is now 3 months since completion and I have now received a letter from the agent giving me 7 days to pay these fees or they are taking me to court. They have also enclosed an invoice addressed to me but sent C/o the conveyancers dated a week before completion for the 50% fees. I never saw this as it was posted to the legal team.

I phoned the conveyancers yesterday and spoke to the girl that with dealt with it and she said that I shouldnt be liable and she would sort it out and get back to me, which of course she didnt.

I phoned again this afternoon and she is now saying that she has spoken to the agents and I am liable to pay it completely changing her opinion.

Unsatisfied I then spoke to a pertner of the legal firm and she is saying that although they made a mistake not adding by not charging the fees, I am also to blame as I never questioned it when I noticed it not on there. she said I have to pay it. I am really angy as they were a complete nightmare from the start and I really dont feel I am liable. Not really sure where to go from here.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Would be gratefull for urgent advice regarding a bill from estate agents after sa

Is the demand for 50%?

Comment

Re: Would be gratefull for urgent advice regarding a bill from estate agents after sa

Yes it is.

Comment

You really must put all requests involving money, in writing.
        Keep copies and post all correspondence by recorded and signed for.
        Request that the estate agent itemise their bill and show proof of debt by way of a signed agreement.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Hi Johnboy007,
          Tthey have sent me a copy of the agreement that I signed.

I have the email I sent querying the fees.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X