• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas

Just seeking some advice.

I have a property that has electricity and gas supplied by British Gas, they have entered the property without my authority and removed the electric meter and gas meter.

The property is unoccupied as it is being renovated, the account was in credit and an alternative address [where I am living] was supplied for invoicing any usage.

Could someone please advise what are my options as I am not best pleased with this matter, bloody nerve of it. Is this illegal?

thanks for any information

regards

WSF
    Tags: None

Re: British Gas

In detail, and for both addresses, what previous correspondence is there?

Having removed the meters, what did they do? (put another meter in, capped the supply, etcetera).

Did they cause any damage when entering the premises (how did they get in?).

Comment

no damage just removed the supply, picked the locks apparently!

No correspondence to either address regarding anything, I have an email via twitter stating the meters were removed in error but have not heard from them since and cannot get any return calls from them either.

WSF

Comment

Originally posted by WelshSilverFox View Post
        I have an email via twitter stating the meters were removed in error but have not heard from them since and cannot get any return calls from them either.
        They removed the meters completely and capped the mains supply?

Write to the CEO (send Recorded Delivery), confirming the content of their twatter posting (this starts a proper paper trail and lets him know that you have compromising correspondence). Then ask what they propose to do about rectifying their error. Mention that you are 'currently taking advice with regard to recovering any loss incurred due to the actions of British Gas'.

Did they leave the premises as secure as before?
        Last edited by enquirer; 20th July 2014, 13:25:PM.

Comment

It seems that there is right of entry under Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954.
          However, certain conditions apply.
          Click on link below for the legislation and read through it.
          http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/2-3/21
          “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy007 View Post
            It seems that there is right of entry under Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954.
            However, certain conditions apply.
            Click on link below for the legislation and read through it.
            http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/2-3/21
            They have already admitted their error.

Comment

If the property was empty was there an outstanding bill and was the standing charge still being paid?
              The meters are the property of the company and if no one is in property and no charges are being collected they may have a right to remove their equipment.

Comment

no money owed, if fact the account was in credit as a previous estimated bill had been paid.

Comment

everything was left secure, that's why it took a few days to realise the issue.

thanks for the advice will crack on with the letter asap

WSF

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X