• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell have took over a Cap1 debt & threatening action.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell have took over a Cap1 debt & threatening action.

I've been dealing with a Cap1 CC that went into default around 2009. The amount is for around 2.7k. A brief history.
    Beginning of 2010 we sent a CCA request to Cap1.

They wrote back saying it's not signed and they need to be sure who they're dealing with.

We wrote back pointing out that the CCA request doesn't require a sig providing the creditor is satisfied as to the identity of who they are dealing with, and as they had sent private & personal info in the past without requiring any further checks of identity they were fully aware who they were dealing with.

They replied agreeing that it doesn't require a sig but they are committed to protecting personal info etc and unless we sign there is nothing more they can do. Fair enough we'll leave it at that.

Roll on 4 years and in April 2014 we receive letter from Lowell saying the account was sold to them and pay up.

We point out that Cap1 remain in default of our cca request.

They reply saying Cap1 did receive the CCA request but could not be actioned as it was unsigned, but here's 15% discount - pay up.

We reply referring Lowell to previous correspondence with Cap1 - and also signed the letter so they have no reason to doubt the identity for the purpose of denying the CCA request.

They reply with this letter

Lowell letter1-redacted.pdf

A week later they send another letter enclosing a copy of statements and said a copy of the agreement has been ordered and will be forwarded under separate cover.

They then send a letter enclosing what they say is the the agreement as requested and that they are now entitled to receive full payment, giving 7 days or they will instruct solicitors & legal proceedings.

This is what they sent as the agreement. It's an application form which we assume (as the name & address was already printed) was a general flyer which the bank sent out touting for business. It is signed but I don't think this comes close to satisfy the CCA, and is illegible. Looks like a copy of a copy and with normal sight I can't make out the small print of the agreement. This is scanned at high res which makes it just readable when zoomed in.

cap1 agreement_Redacted.pdf

As per Lowells previous letter, should we send another CCA request + fee and sign it to Cap1 to see if they send anything more than an illegible application form? Was also thinking of requesting a full SAR to Cap1 as the copy of printed statements that Lowell sent are missing transaction details from 04 to 07 which we beleive would show quite a few late payment charges.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell have took over a Cap1 debt & threatening action.

It is customary for CrapOne to request a signature to comply with a CCA request. Normally CCA requests are meant to be 'signed digitally', meaning writing your name in a different font as opposed to actually signing it. This is to avoid your signature being 'lifted'. On the redacted copy of the application form you've posted you've blacked out the signature area, on your unedited copy, is your real signature on there? If so, there isn't much point in omitting your signature from the CCA request. An alternative is to sign on an anti-tamper strip:

I am a little confused because you say they refused your request due to lack of signature, and Lowell's letter argues non-receipt of the £1 fee, yet you are in possession of an application form, presumably sent in response to your CCA request at some point. :noidea: Also the Lowell letter you attached doesn't say you've got 7 days to pay or else they'll instruct solicitors. Is there another letter from Lowell? If so, when did you receive it? Would you care to post it up? :typing:

Comment

This is the anti-tamper strip I meant to post above. :nerd:

Click image for larger version

Name:	antitamper.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	1161184

Comment

Hi FP,
        The CCA request we sent in early 2010 was digitally signed, not sure if a proper agreement even exists so at the time thought it safer to digitally sign. Yes the copy application form that lowell have sent is our sig.

From their letter I posted above dated 25/June, they sent another letter dated 7 July enclosing a print out of statements and another letter followed with the same date enclosing that application form and giving 7 days to agree payment. A copy attached below.

Lowell letters_Redacted.pdf

I also post the format of the statements that Lowell have sent. From August 2004 to May 2007 the transaction date, details, paid in & paid out are all left blank. It is only when you get to statement date June 2007 to Sep 2009 that the transaction details, interest, paid in & paid out are available, and which also detail the late payment charges. I'm sure there are numerous more late payments between the dates that they haven't detailed and which when applying compound interest would be more than the amount Lowell are seeking. Do you think a full SAR to Cap1 would help in obtaining the missing transaction details - also thinking of sending a signed CCA.

Statements_Redacted.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by panther12 View Post
          Hi FP,
          The CCA request we sent in early 2010 was digitally signed, not sure if a proper agreement even exists so at the time thought it safer to digitally sign. Yes the copy application form that lowell have sent is our sig.
          Yes, that's always been customary to avoid the possibility of a C&P job.

From their letter I posted above dated 25/June, they sent another letter dated 7 July enclosing a print out of statements and another letter followed with the same date enclosing that application form and giving 7 days to agree payment. A copy attached below.
          I've now seen the letter and it's just a generic templated letter, I wanted to see if it was a letter before action but it isn't. :grin:
          I also post the format of the statements that Lowell have sent. From August 2004 to May 2007 the transaction date, details, paid in & paid out are all left blank. It is only when you get to statement date June 2007 to Sep 2009 that the transaction details, interest, paid in & paid out are available, and which also detail the late payment charges. I'm sure there are numerous more late payments between the dates that they haven't detailed and which when applying compound interest would be more than the amount Lowell are seeking. Do you think a full SAR to Cap1 would help in obtaining the missing transaction details - also thinking of sending a signed CCA.
          Definitely, SARs should normally be sent to the original lender rather than the debt purchaser. As you will have seen, Lowell do like to issue claims, at which point time is not on your side, therefore the more info you can get on your account, the better. :thumb:

Comment

Thanks FP. We've sent a full SAR (+£10) to Cap1 data contoller and also a CCA (+£1) to them under seperate envelope so they don't confuse the two requests, both are signed by hand so they can't use the lack of sig as an excuse not to comply.

Lowell say in their letter that both them & cap1 are not aware of any dispute on the account. I guess the late payment fees are a reason to dispute the amount. From the statement details 2007 to 2009 that do detail the transactions, there is 17 x £12 late fees = £204. With compound interest this would be around £1k. If I can get the transaction details from 04 to 07 I'm sure the late fees applied would completely wipe out this debt.

Comment

Lowell say in their letter that both them & cap1 are not aware of any dispute on the account. I guess the late payment fees are a reason to dispute the amount. From the statement details 2007 to 2009 that do detail the transactions,

Lowell template letter always state that as matter of form i.e. not aware of any dispute etc

Comment

Phishing teletext BT call to-day to urgently contact on 0113???? to-day. Lowells!

already sent letters previously to Freds account in dispute also letter before action in response to a letter they sent, and they state not letter before action, the B Carter letter sent to them, Now Lowells purchase of the disputed alledged debt, (No prescribed Terms/conditions) at the time! and dispute on charges?etc

Comment

Message left on answer machine @0900hrs this morning to ring 0844?????????? from 07900742279 no doubt Lowells??

Comment

07900 742279 / 07900742279 is Lowell ( or Red Debt - same people)
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Makes you wonder how they get your new number??????

Comment

While I wait for Cap1 to comply with my CCA & SAR, I had another look at the statements that lowell sent which I posted previously. Between the dates of Aug 2004 to May 2007 where they don't detail the transactions or late payments - they do detail the balance and minimum payment due for each month. Based on that information, if the minimum payment is 3% (or £5 whichever is the greatest) am I correct in thinking that for the months which show a much higher than 3% minimum payment due, this will be because there was a missed or late payment for the previous month therefore the minimum payment rolls forward to the next month. So without any transaction details I am still able to calculate the months when a late payment fee would have been applied?

Comment

Still awaiting the SAR but have now received a reply to the CCA request from Cap1. They have provided another copy of the application form that I attached in my first post that we received from Lowell and the below letter.

Cap1 cca letter.pdf

Comment

Still missing all the terms and conditions so as it stands is unenforceable.

Also, it seems to state you are applying for 3 credit cards, - 2 at a higher rate ?
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst,
                              I've just finished scanning the other pages they sent with the letter. They sent loose pages of the T&C's of what they say are the Original T&Cs and ones from when the account defaulted and a scanned copy of the signature page which they say is from the original agreement. I had to split them as too large to post as a single file.
                              Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X