• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent help,please reference Collectica and tv court fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help,please reference Collectica and tv court fine

Hello
    hope someone can advise , I was fined through the court for not having a tv licence, I arranged a repayment plan for the £180 ish after making a few payments I forgot to carry on and to be honest forgot all about it.
    Today I have returned from work to find a hand delivered letter saying Collectica have called and want £455 payment in full!!!!
    i rang up and questioned them and they said the amount owed was £140 then £75 added for one cost ( a letter I never received) and the rest is their charges for a removal visit £235 ish
    I never received a letter from them at all but did get a text back in may telling me to ring them urgently and a number, I didn't ring it as had never heard if the company and thought it may be a scam
    so my question is am I stuffed do I have to pay this £455 or can I dispute it if so who with ?
    Thanks for any help I'm very stressed and this will have to come out of mortgage money
    Tags: None

Re: Urgent help,please reference Collectica and tv court fine

The first letter ( known as the compliance letter ) carries a charge of £75.00
    Stage two is known as Enforcement and does indeed carry a charge of £235.00
    There is also a charge of £110.00 for sale and disposal.
    On top of this, there is also the outstanding fine to be paid.

However, to enforce these charges, the Bailiff or Enforcement Agent, must show proof that they have abided with legislation and have completed a lawful Enforcement by taking Control Of Goods.
    To do this they must give you seven days notice of intention to take Control Of Your Goods.
    They then have to visit you and serve you with a 'Warrant Of Control', I.D from the Bailiff and a breakdown of all charges.
    You are not legally obliged to accept or sign any paperwork. Nor do you have to let a Bailiff into your house. the only exception to this, is if the bailiff has a court warrant, authorising him to gain entrance.
    If you are in serious financial difficulty, a judgment debtor can ask for a warrant of execution to be suspended. They must apply on form N245 (Application for suspension of a warrant and/or variation of an order) and pay a fee to the court. The N245 requires the judgment debtor to make an offer of monthly payments and complete a signed statement of your means.
    If you are getting certain benefits, such as income support or JSA, then a fee will not be payable.
    If the Bailiff fails to take control of your goods, then their fees for enforcement and sale & disposal, cannot be claimed off you.
    The original fine and Compliance letter fee will still have to be paid.
    Under no circumstances admit anything, do not handle any document, and do not let them into your home.
    If you think the charges are wrong or illegal, write to the 'Court Manager' at the court in which you received the fine.
    Send it with your application to suspend a warrant.
    Good luck.
    Johnaw:
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X