• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UK mortgage debt in Aus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK mortgage debt in Aus

I was hoping perhaps someone could offer some advice…I've posted on debt forums but feel that my situation perhaps needs advice from a legal perspective.

I'm resident in Australia and have been since 2009. Long story short, my mortgage lender applied for a Possession Order, which was granted and my property was repossessed. I have since learned, correctly or otherwise, that a UK CCJ should not be granted, or the claim should not be heard if the debtor is not resident in the UK (and in my case the creditor knew as they were corresponding with me in Australia).

I have contacted the court where the claim was heard and it seems that the court only had my UK address on file, which was provided by the creditor, despite them knowing that I lived abroad (or at least should have advised the court of that possibility?).

I have been advised by the court that I could apply for the Order to be varied or 'set aside'. I have been advised that this would only mean the creditor could just start the process again (but I'm confused as to how if a UK Order cannot be granted against a non UK resident).

I am somewhat confused as to where I stand, or whether the UK debt can be legally pursued in Australia given that the starting point for the creditor is a UK CCJ which seems to have been granted by default.

Any comments/ advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X