• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Stayed claim now being lifted 3 years later - Summary Judgement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stayed claim now being lifted 3 years later - Summary Judgement?

Hi there. Apologies for first post being a cry for help but this could be very bad news!! Just received notice of a court hearing in respect of this problem. Briefly centres around an ongoing battle with a well known DCA over previous Lloyds issues. They issued a claim through Northampton in 2010. I responded defending the claim and issuing CPR requests etc. They didn't respond/pursue in time and the claim was stayed. Had a couple of letters stating they now had the information early this year and now this application to lift the stay and go for summary judgement. I have been told summary judgements are rare. What are their chances of obtaining one? How are they allowed to just leave the case for 3+ years and then just conveniently come back with the information? Abuse of process surely? I am not sure where to go from here. I have had credit problems in the past mainly due to a now ex partner. Having battled to pay things off and keep my nose clean I now face a CCJ for a not inconsiderable sum!! I haven't had chance to read all the documentation they have sent yet but will be looking at it tonight. They would appear to be trying to claim interest for the time the case has been stayed which adds several thousand pounds!! I will check it out fully and try to post more information later but any advice on how to tackle this problem would be very much appreciated. With only 2 weeks to the court date this is going to be a struggle!! Thank you in advance!
    Tags: None

Re: Stayed claim now being lifted 3 years later - Summary Judgement?

After being stayed for three years i would think the judge will have something to say on this. If i was in his shoes i would think it unreasonable to reseurect after all this time and deny the application to lift the stay.

But the judge has the ultimate say on this, and in general they are fair in their decisions most of the time. He will have to decide if it is in the interest of justice to lift the stay.

Comment

Have they actually supplied you with the information?

We can do a witness statement in advance of the hearing stating your case , as well as the normal defence issues (which we can try go through once we have a bit more information) and also include that they should not be entitled to claim interest for that period that THEY were in default at the very least.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you for the responses. They have supplied some information now. I have got copies of their statement to the court. I am in the process of familiarising myself with all the information again as this has been going on for a long time. I will post up as much relevant information as I can later tonight. I don't deny I owe some money but the figure now being claimed is ridiculous!! Part of the problem is that the DCA are such nasty people to deal with that I gave up trying to negotiate a settlement! Before this court shenanigans started in 2010 I had been sent discount letters offering up to 60% off the debt on numerous occasions. I am sure I still have them but I have filed them safely somewhere!! Just hope I can remember where!!! I will come back to you as soon as possible.

Comment

I have found all the relevant paperwork now at last. Took longer than I thought and have been busier workwise so that didn't help. I will go through it all tonight. Interestingly there is PPI on the loan agreement! This may be reclaimable as they knew I was self employed at the time and had been for 10 years previously! Hearing is only 10 days away now. Not had the paperwork long from them, only arrived a few days ago. From what I can glean it would appear my witness statement has to be in 7 days before so not good! They are applying for judgement under CPR 24. Do I go to the hearing? Can I say anything to mitigate at the hearing? Do I need a solicitor? Is it worth a last ditch attempt at negotiation with these clowns? I do have some money available for a sensible settlement. Apologies for seemingly obvious questions but I really don't know how best to deal with this problem. I really don't need to end up with a big CCJ against me now I have finally got somewhere near straight!! Many thanks for your help.

Comment

The PPI figure is over £1000 on a £5000 loan. Any idea what that is worth in terms of reclaim? Thank you.

Comment

Back again! Having studied the paperwork they do seem to have copies of agreements, obviously photocopies. I am struggling to see a way forward with this now. Are they likely to attend bearing in mind they are down south? Not versed with any of these procedures to be fair so unsure of next step! To add to the problems my daughter has just had a hospital appointment come through for the same day at a clashing time!! It is a very important appointment for her and I had promised to go with her but if I don't attend then presumably they will just get the verdict anyway? Thanks again.

Comment

Hiya, Sorry Chauffeur I was out yesterday having a read of your last few posts now xx
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

If you can possibly photograph or scan the documents you have received that would really help. Definitely get the agreements scanned in.

PPI we need to look at - depends when it was taken out , who the underwriters were etc but if its definate miselling then it should get you back that £1k plus at least 8% simple interest PA since it was paid.

We can defend that part.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

How much is the claim for? approx .
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Oh and they can bog off with Summary Judgment too,
                      Grounds for summary judgment

24.2 The court may give summary judgment against a claimant or defendant on the whole of a claim or on a particular issue if –

(a) it considers that –

(i) that claimant has no real prospect of succeeding on the claim or issue; or

(ii) that defendant has no real prospect of successfully defending the claim or issue; and

(b) there is no other compelling reason why the case or issue should be disposed of at a trial.

Let me know how much it is for.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. The amount they are trying to get summary judgement for is now over £20k!! The original figure was around the £13k mark. This has been ongoing for some years obviously. My biggest mistake was making the effort to pay something back in 2007. Therefore no chance of becoming statute barred!! I am not good with scanning stuff but will see what I can do. Originally when they sent court summons they obviously didn't have these copies of agreement. They had previously been offering settlements with 60% discounts but I had not got the money at the time!! While claim has been stayed they have obtained the documents. Seems mad that they are allowed to just 'park' the claim until they have the evidence!!

Original advice from another well known forum (2010 when claim received) was to defend in full which I did. However once I had done that various characters said my defence was not really good enough!! Obviously when claim stayed that was not a problem. They must think they have a good chance or they wouldn't have gone for summary judgement?

Thank you again.

Comment

Loan with Lloyds in 2002 to value of £5000. Have paperwork (courtesy of DCA) showing PPI of approx. £1200 (5 year loan agreement) since defaulted obviously. Rest of balance made up of unauthorised overdraft £8k. I did have an overdraft facility at one stage (then withdrawn) but no signed paperwork in respect of this debt. However I believe it is different in respect of overdraft agreements. Many thanks.

Comment

Okay - could you post up the defence you originally had?
                            (or link to your old thread on other forum)

We're going to need to work on a Witness Statement to get over to court tomorrow.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Quite urgent we see those agreements too......
                              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X