• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking fine Small claims Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking fine Small claims Court

I parked my car in council car park ,paid the due amount and stuck the ticket on my windscreen at the top in prominent position. I returned to my car 10 minutes before ticket expired. I had a penalty notice on screen for £50.

A ticket officer was nearby and I asked why I had a penalty notice . She replied" I could not read the ticket" its curled up" I told her I could read the ticket and that it still had 10 minutes to run.She replied that she could not cancel the ticket.and walked off. The penalty ticket stated ,That the CEO had reasonable cause to believe that the car had been parked without clearly displaying a pay and display ticket. This was completely untrue.

I e mailed the local council and pointed out that I had gone out of my way to do everything correctly and that this is England and it is not up to me to prove I am innocent but up to them to prove that an offence had been committed.

I advised them that I would charge them £50 for my time in answering this incorrect penalty notice but if paid within 14 days the charge would be £25.(the same as their charge) I advised them that if not paid I would take them to court.

They replied that the penalty had been issued correctly and produced photos of my car which were so bad that a ticket could not be seen.

I advised them that the photos were not fit for use and produced photos taken by a young man who had witnessed what had occurred.

The council asked if I could produce the valid parking ticket,which I did and they duly cancelled the fine.

I have issued a claim in the small claims court for £50 as I do not think that the council should act in this way where people have to prove that they acted correctly.

The council are going to defend this action and have a senior solicitor to fight the Case who will ask for costs.

I feel this is wrong as a solicitor costs about £150 an hour and I feel this is not fair to use taxpayers money this way. and it puts me at a disadvantage as all I want to do is to stop councils acting in a way that places the onus on the public to prove they have not committed an offence. This is contrary to British Law. Any advice will be welcomed
    Tags: None

Re: Parking fine Small claims Court

Originally posted by Big1050 View Post
    I parked my car in council car park ,paid the due amount and stuck the ticket on my windscreen at the top in prominent position. I returned to my car 10 minutes before ticket expired. I had a penalty notice on screen for £50.

A ticket officer was nearby and I asked why I had a penalty notice . She replied" I could not read the ticket" its curled up" I told her I could read the ticket and that it still had 10 minutes to run.She replied that she could not cancel the ticket.and walked off. The penalty ticket stated ,That the CEO had reasonable cause to believe that the car had been parked without clearly displaying a pay and display ticket. This was completely untrue.

I e mailed the local council and pointed out that I had gone out of my way to do everything correctly and that this is England and it is not up to me to prove I am innocent but up to them to prove that an offence had been committed.

I advised them that I would charge them £50 for my time in answering this incorrect penalty notice but if paid within 14 days the charge would be £25.(the same as their charge) I advised them that if not paid I would take them to court.

They replied that the penalty had been issued correctly and produced photos of my car which were so bad that a ticket could not be seen.

I advised them that the photos were not fit for use and produced photos taken by a young man who had witnessed what had occurred.

The council asked if I could produce the valid parking ticket,which I did and they duly cancelled the fine.

I have issued a claim in the small claims court for £50 as I do not think that the council should act in this way where people have to prove that they acted correctly.

The council are going to defend this action and have a senior solicitor to fight the Case who will ask for costs.

I feel this is wrong as a solicitor costs about £150 an hour and I feel this is not fair to use taxpayers money this way. and it puts me at a disadvantage as all I want to do is to stop councils acting in a way that places the onus on the public to prove they have not committed an offence. This is contrary to British Law. Any advice will be welcomed
    You will lose and they will not be awarded costs.

The CEO has to have a "reasonable belief" and they will claim they did. You can't really say you have suffered a loss, as the council cancelled the ticket.

However it's very unlikely that costs will be awarded against you. I'm surprised they haven't just paid you £50 to go away.

Comment

Why should they lose if the independent photo was clear enough to see the ticket why could the parking hitler not read it would inform the local press this kind of money grabbing by councils must stop.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        Why should they lose if the independent photo was clear enough to see the ticket why could the parking hitler not read it would inform the local press this kind of money grabbing by councils must stop.
        Just my experience of the county court, speaking to judges and reading up on cases. I'm surprised the council haven't just paid it.

Also invoicing for your time and effort is a bit of a tricky point. I'd like to be proved wrong.

Comment

I'm not surprised - it's because councils use OPiuM (other peoples money), which it's easy to waste....aw:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X