• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord demanding another months rent 4 months after i left property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord demanding another months rent 4 months after i left property

Hello
    This is the first time of using the forum. I hope this is not too long to read.
    After informing the landlady on January 6th i would be leaving the property after 6 years the last 2 putting up with horrendous neighboughs partying for days at a time and dogs barking constantley .I moved out on the 27th January the landlord told me i could not leave anything of mine in the property after that date even though i was expected to pay rent up to the end of February I ask if someone would be there for inspection when i moved out and was told by the landlady she would come sometime before end of February but wouldn't say when The property was put in the hands of an estate agent to find another tenant the letting agent informed me on the 30th January that a new tenant was moving in on the Monday when i said that i had sent a cheque for the months rent to the landlady the agent replied oh dear i hope you get your money back After numerous phone calls and Text to said Landlady without reply eventually i received a message instructing me to give the keys to the Letting agent first thing am on the MondayI went to the bank discovered cheque had not been cashed so cancelled it, 5days later i ask for my deposit back as a tenant was now in Occupation no denial of this and deposit was released. 4Months later she is taking me to court for a months rent i was not allowed access to the property but expected to pay rent can this be right This is really a worry to me as i have never owed a penny to anyone should i pay up or contest
    Tags: None

Re: Landlord demanding another months rent 4 months after i left property

If you informed the LL on 6th jan, initially, the earliest point it ended is 6th MArch, or there abouts,

But, you handed keys in and new tenat moved in before 6th Feb... ( is that correct )

so you
    cheque had not been cashed so cancelled it, 5days later i ask for my deposit back as a tenant was now in Occupation
    Am presuming that the check was rent was to cover 6th Feb-6th March ( is that correct )
    4Months later she is taking me to court for a months rent i
    Was that for Feb-march ??

If so , whatever the circumstance, your tenancy ended when they accepted a new tenant in the property. If that was before 6th feb, then you have a reasonable argument.
    i was not allowed access to the property but expected to pay rent can this be right
    If the LL or agent has accepted the keys back, this covers you for further damages, but does not make a difference in the rent ( 2 month notice ) untill your notice period was up.

But, as i said, if they had a tenant in residence before your contract ended. That immediately ends your contract

There is a little niggle i have...... its around your payment due date..... when was your official due date in jan, was it 6th ?

The reason being, we would ask tenants to give 2 months notice from there rent due dates
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

no rent was up to the 28th Feb i only had to give a months notice i had not signed a contract for over 5 years,LL instructed me to give keys to Letting agent by Mon3rd of Feb am which i did and the agent was expecting me and took keys.I text the LL on the 4th of Feb to ask her to release deposit as she had a tenant in she did not refute this . The people holding deposit rang me to say she had released my deposit i understood this meant my tenancy ened :beagle2222:

Comment

Hi Issieiow

I'm a bit confused by this - you can't be liable for rent when you not only had legally finished your tenancy but also (belt and braces, lol) a new tenant was in occupancy.

Have I misunderstood?

Comment

Got you, i misread how long you had been in there. what dates rent is she trying to claim for Feb 4th - Feb 28th ? And what date did the new tenant take possession
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

[QUOTE=MissFM;443610]Hi Issieiow

I'm a bit confused by this - you can't be liable for rent when you not only had legally finished your tenancy but also (belt and braces, lol) a new tenant was in occupancy.

Have I misunderstood?[/QUOTE

:tinysmile_hmm_t2:I My LL said my tenancy fnished on Feb28th but as i was instructed to hand keys in on Feb3rd so i had no access to the property from that day and my deposit was returned the next day i assumed that was my tenancy terminated when deposit was returned but according to her she is saying not so i was still the tenant even though she did not deny my text saying the property was in occupation by someone else /

Comment

[QUOTE=izzieiow;443622]
              Originally posted by MissFM View Post
              Hi Issieiow

Have I misunderstood?[/QUOTE

:tinysmile_hmm_t2:I My LL said my tenancy fnished on Feb28th but as i was instructed to hand keys in on Feb3rd so i had no access to the property from that day and my deposit was returned the next day i assumed that was my tenancy terminated when deposit was returned but according to her she is saying not so i was still the tenant even though she did not deny my text saying the property was in occupation by someone else /
              Well, she needs a kick up the proverbial, doesn't she?

Do you have any documentary proof of all this?

Comment

yes the rent is upto Feb28th I was instructed to hand the keys to Letting agent on the Mon So no access to the property after that day so how am i suppose to be the tenant still when not allowed in and the letting agent had told me a tenant was moving in cannot see why they would lie

Comment

Unfortunately not the agent holding the deposit can varify

she rang to release the deposit i still have the text i sent her about the property being in occupation
                  She never sent me anything in writing and the fact is i paid for all repirs as well while i lived there she never coughed up once

Comment

the letting agent informed me on the 30th January that a new tenant was moving in on the Monday when i said that i had sent a cheque for the months rent to the landlady the agent replied oh dear i hope you get your money back After numerous phone calls and Text to said Landlady without reply eventually i received a message instructing me to give the keys to the Letting agent first thing am on the Monday
                    4Months later she is taking me to court for a months rent i was not allowed access to the property but expected to pay rent

Going to court is stressful but on the basis of the above your ex-LL will come a cropper and you will win.

Her behaviour is quite disgusting IMVHO.

Comment

Thankyou for this i do hope your right I have never been in this situation before i was very careful to leave thie property in very good order and never once missed paying my rent not once did she say a kind word :tongue2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X