• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wasted costs appeal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasted costs appeal

I have received a wasted costs claim after applying to have my case set aside due to not receiving any court papers. They were sent to the wrong address. Attended a court hearing and the judge decided to set aside the claim but stated that I would need to appeal against the wasted costs. These were over £800 and I have noway of paying this amount. I'm concerned that enforcement action will be taken and bailiffs will call. How do I appeal against these costs? I can't afford a solicitor. Any help would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Wasted costs appeal

Were you originally the claimant or defendant?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Help appeal against wasted costs

Help need on how to appeal against a wasted costs order. Judge agreed to have my case set aside after the papers were sent to the wrong address but stated that I would need to appeal to have the wasted costs dropped. These are totaling over £800 and I cannot afford this or pay for a solicitor. Judge stated that enforcement action could include bailiffs calling at my house. I'm really worried about this as my husband is not in good health. Any help appreciated.

Comment

I was the defendant

Comment

Ok, how come there is a wasted costs order against you? The claimants bought a claim against you but you didn't receive the court papers so they got judgment in default, you applied tp set aside the judgment and succeeded... on the basis of not getting the court papers... so where has the wasted costs come in?? Are you now filing a defence to the original claim? I'm missing something here I think.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I attended court regarding costs and the Judge at that hearing awarded the solicitor costs for wasting the court time. I was a bit taken aback at this point as I had only just found out about the case and was advised to apply have the judgement set aside. This was agreed today by a different District Judge but he was unable to comment on the wasted cost issue and advised us to consider appealing. Thank you for your interest it is really appreciated.

Comment

Sorry, I'm still behind, and not sure where the costs hearing fits in .... can we start from the beginning.... from when you first knew about the claim. Was it at the costs hearing you were advised to set aside? How did you know about the costs hearing?

Presumably it is over £10k if you had a costs hearing, so fast track? Or multi?

Sorry hard to know your next steps before knowing exactly where we are at.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Re: Help appeal against wasted costs

You normally only get a wasted costs order if your conduct of the proceedings has been deficient.

I think you are going to have to give a bit more information. What sort of case is it? You applied for a set aside, did you do so with undue delay? What aspect of your conduct of the matter is considered to have been unreasonable?

Did you ask for permission to appeal against the order at the hearing? Was that refused?

Comment

Re: Help appeal against wasted costs

I'll merge threads xx DONE - Thanks Steve.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Oops, sorry, hadn't realised there were two threads - I'll get the hang of this forum thing yet.

When I started reading this thread again, was wondering how all those posts before mine had got there - I was the first reply.

I'll get my coat and go and have a little lay down I think.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                      Oops, sorry, hadn't realised there were two threads - I'll get the hang of this forum thing yet.

When I started reading this thread again, was wondering how all those posts before mine had got there - I was the first reply.

I'll get my coat and go and have a little lay down I think.
                      Lol, I hadn't seen the other thread either until you posted.... admit I was quite pleased it wasn't just me that couldn't work out where the wasted costs had come into it. Certainly a bit more info needed.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X