• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dilema....Arrow Global/Clarity.....is there a time limit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilema....Arrow Global/Clarity.....is there a time limit?

Hi All

Yesterday I received a letter out of the blue addressed to my previous married name from Arrow Global stating they are transferring my account to Clarity Credit Management.

It says the debt is from Shop Direct (Carval) and the original date of agreement is 5/11/2000.
    I have no idea what this debt is for (14 years ago) and I have had no contact, communications or made any payments for any credit agreements since at least 2004

In 2006 I moved from the address that I was living at in 2000 when agreement was dated and moved again in 2010 since then life has been messy homeless sofa surfing etc but I recently got housed and now got this letter

So am I opening a can of worms if I contact them or do I ignore it, after 14 years I have no paperwork or even same bank to trace anything, is there a limit on time they can chase you for?

Advice would be great
    Tags: None

Re: Dilema....Arrow Global/Clarity.....is there a time limit?

Originally posted by Sea Air View Post
    Yesterday I received a letter out of the blue addressed to my previous married name from Arrow Global stating they are transferring my account to Clarity Credit Management.

It says the debt is from Shop Direct (Carval) and the original date of agreement is 5/11/2000.
    I have no idea what this debt is for (14 years ago) and I have had no contact, communications or made any payments for any credit agreements since at least 2004

In 2006 I moved from the address that I was living at in 2000 when agreement was dated and moved again in 2010 since then life has been messy homeless sofa surfing etc but I recently got housed and now got this letter

So am I opening a can of worms if I contact them or do I ignore it, after 14 years I have no paperwork or even same bank to trace anything, is there a limit on time they can chase you for?
    Welcome to LB

If there's been no payment or written acknowledgment made in the past 6 years (5 in Scotland), the debt would be statute barred, meaning it can no longer be recovered through the courts. :thumb:

That doesn't mean they can't chase you for it, in fact, the creditors themselves probably have no idea, since debts are bought in job lots with no paperwork and very little info about the account. From what you say above, the letter you received appears to be a notice of assignment and would be for reference only and requires no response. :ranger:

However, if Clarity, or anyone else, starts chasing you for this, you can send them a letter informing them the debt is statute barred and therefore you do not intend to make any payments. They should stop chasing you after that. :biggrin1:

Comment

Many thanks for the info, will just have to wait and see now if I get anymore from Clarity now then

Comment

Arrow Global have a history of doing things like this and getting Clarity [sic] Credit Management to help them along.

Recently Arrow Global tried to get me to pay an alleged debtor account which was completely fictitious. When they did not succeed they got Clarity on the case. I had no record of the account number so I asked them for a CCA and sent off the fee. Arrow then sent me a copy of an application form for another account which had two sets of addresses on it, was 18 years old, and was obviously a "scissors and paste job".

I wrote back and told them that I would only take them seriously if they took their legal obligations seriously and supplied a true copy. Two weeks later Clarity backed down completely, apologised, and said that I would not be hearing from them again. The made-up account is now back with Arrow Global.

I wonder how long it will be before Arrow Global try it on again and send it to another DC?

The moral here is that Arrow Global and others like them must be challenged over things like this. If I had weakened then I would now be paying installments on a non-existent debt just because Arrow Global and their chums decided to bully me.

Why are they allowed to do this?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X