• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County court claim from Lowell / Bryan Carter about Lloyds overdraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County court claim from Lowell / Bryan Carter about Lloyds overdraft

Hi folks.

Yep, another day, another county court claim from Lowells. This time I'm the "lucky" recipient as one has dropped on my doorstep. Like many other people on here I have no experience dealing with this sort of thing and I could really do with your help please!

The basics.

Around 8 years ago I took out a student overdraft with Lloyds when I was studying but soon became pretty ill and had to drop out of my Uni course. I fell into debt because I couldn't work and almost immediately stoppped making any payments into my Lloyds bank account. I'm pretty sure I haven't made any payments of any kind into the Lloyds account for well over 6, possibly 7 years. I also haven't replied to or acknowledged any letters from either Lloyds, Bryan Carter or Lowells at any time. Because of this I'm almost certain that this claim should be statute barred, but I no longer have any Lloyds bank statements or paperwork of any sort as I've moved a lot in the last 10 years and it's either been binned or got lost. As you would expect I intend to defend this claim.

What I've done so far.

I received a court claim form around two weeks ago but I was away and only realised I had been sent it a couple of days ago when I went through my post. From reading it I see I have a total of 19 days from the issue date printed on the front of the claim form to acknowledge the claim and to enter an intention to defend it.

I have registered with the court online but I have not completed anything as I need some advice from someone on here first.

What I currently need help with!

I went to fill in the Acknowledgement of Service on the court website but I am being asked what my defence is going to be. I want to defend the claim on the grounds that I'm pretty sure it should be statute barred, but should I just put that, or do I need to put anything else please? I don't want to mess things up before I've even started!

Also, having read a very similar case on here (http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...owell-BW-Legal), I note from that thread that I should be requesting proof from Lowell that they actually have a legal right to make this claim in the first place. A CCA 31.14 is refererred to and a link next to it sends me to here, but this refers to a CPR 31.14 not a CCA 31.14 - is this correct?

I have also noted the advice given in that thread to make a Subject Access Request to Lloyds. What information should I be asking them for please, and as I've moved at least 7-8 times in the last 8 years, will I need to give them every address during that period, or just the one's from around the time I had the overdraft?

Do I need to do anything else at the moment?

Many thanks in advance!

CaptainBeaky

Re: County court claim from Lowell / Bryan Carter about Lloyds overdraft

You can file AoS without a defence.

CPR 31.14 is correct. http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ic-information & http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ght=disclosure

As for SAR the account number is best. If you don't know it try phone banking or at a branch. Otherwise you'll need at least the address you were at when it opened or any address it's ever been linked to.

M1

Comment

Hi Mystery1 and thanks for your reply.

Is it wise to leave the the defence section blank though when I complete the Acknowledgement of Service - won't this cause me problems when I have to go to court?

Comment

The defence will come later, the AOS basically acts to extend your time limit to 28 days + 5 days for service, so 33 days from the date of issue on the claim form, before you have to put in the defence.

In the AOS just tick intend to defend in full , you're not beholden to it at all so can turn around and admit later if you wanted
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Sorry I just have to

My favourite duvet cover when I was a little girl had all the words of this printed on it.

Ahh marvellous I thoroughly enjoyed that
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst for explaining things a bit more for me. I have now submitted the Acknowledgement of Service stating that I intend to defend the claim in full and left the defence section blank as you suggested.

P.S. It's good to know there are others out there who still appreciate and remember the charm and wit of the original Captain Beaky!

Just for you Amethyst. Captain Beaky and The Trial of Hissing Sid...

Comment

Help? I have some very bad news and it's all my own fault.

Following on from the above earlier posts, I sent off a Part 18 request and a CPR 31.14 request to BW Legal and I've been waiting patiently for a reply. Nothing has been received back, but I know it can take some time for them to respond so I haven't been unduly concerned. Today however I have received a letter from the court saying that judgement has been made against me in full as I haven't filed a defence!

Obviously I'm shocked and wasn't expecting this so I've gone back to check what I have and haven't done to try and work out why this has happened.

Firstly I didn't post the original letter off to BW Legal myself (I asked a family member to do it for me) and to my horror when I've checked to see how they sent it, I have found out that they forgot to send it recorded delivery (although I'm sure I asked them to).

Now I realise why I've had no reply. BW Legal have probably just ignored it and would deny ever receiving it as I have no proof the letter was ever sent to them.

Secondly, just to make matters worse I have also realised that I've made another grave error as by not originally putting my defence with the Acknowledgement of Service form, I needed to submit a separate defence which I haven't done as I was waiting for the replies to my letter to BW Legal.

Now I know why the CCJ request has gone through. I've been a complete idiot and been so careless as I'm 99.9% certain this debt would be statute barred - but is it now too late, is there anything I can do???

Can I appeal the CCJ and what are the legal and cost implications if I can? If I can appeal, can I now resend the requests for information to BW Legal (by recorded delivery this time!!!!) and would they even have to respond now?

Comment

I'm fairly sure you have an ability to appeal under some circumstances, for example if you were not notified, or the creditor made no reasonable attempt to find you, but someone with legal knowledge hopefully can provide some help

Comment

Hi maiakaat.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am getting desperate for some advice now as I'm fully aware that if I can appeal, then the clock has already started ticking and it has already been two days since I got the judgement letter. If I can appeal I know this will be my last chance to stop this, so if anyone here can advise me what to do now I would be very, very grateful!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky View Post
                    Hi maiakaat.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am getting desperate for some advice now as I'm fully aware that if I can appeal, then the clock has already started ticking and it has already been two days since I got the judgement letter. If I can appeal I know this will be my last chance to stop this, so if anyone here can advise me what to do now I would be very, very grateful!
                    I think you need to look up valid reasons for which you can apply to get the judgement "set aside" and what the process is for doing this (those are the key terms which could take you a bit further while you wait)

Comment

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...t/Default.aspx

If you have a good reason for the not being liable for a debt it looks like you might be ok

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X